In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another pistol case question......

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
I wouldn't think that it is a good idea but has or can you reload those aluminum cases from the CCI Blasers in 38/357?? Thanks

Todd

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    NO, not the aluminum cases. For one thing they have Berdan primers, which are a PITA to remove. You can reload the Blaser brass cases they came out with.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    +1 with dcs shooters!
  • Options
    cabnetmancabnetman Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The aluminum CCI 380's have a N R stamped on the head. The NR stands for none reloadable. I never knew why but never tried either.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The aluminum cases would get crushed in a dye.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did try reloading about 100 Blazer 9 x 19 aluminum cases after they change from berdan to boxer primers. The first reload seemed normal with my normal plinking load. If the case did not split when fired and only a few did, they split when I tried to bell the case on the second reload. If you can be sure they are once fired cases I believe that they are good for one reload. As hard as it is to find anything for .380 I have a few aluminum Blazer .380 cases I am going to reload. Everything else seems to still be berdan primed.

Tim
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A word of caution.

Aluminum has a different failure mode than steel or brass. Once aluminum is stretched or stressed it does not return to the original shape well. Aluminum can LOOK fine but have severe micro cracks that render it very weak, ready to fail. Even one reloading of an aluminum case could be a disaster waiting to happen.

If all that happens is a crack develops from the mouth to the base area there is no problem. All it takes is a catastrophic head failure, or base blowout to turn your gun into a bomb in your hand.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    A word of caution.

Aluminum has a different failure mode than steel or brass. Once aluminum is stretched or stressed it does not return to the original shape well. Aluminum can LOOK fine but have severe micro cracks that render it very weak, ready to fail. Even one reloading of an aluminum case could be a disaster waiting to happen.

If all that happens is a crack develops from the mouth to the base area there is no problem. All it takes is a catastrophic head failure, or base blowout to turn your gun into a bomb in your hand.

Do you have any reason to believe what you just posted has anything to do with reloading CCI Blazer aluminum cases. I have seen brass cases with blow outs but never any aluminum cases with blow outs.