In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS and Customer Service

Just a quick note to fellow reloaders. I purchased my RCBS equipment in 1974. Last week my universal primer arm split after all these years. I called RCBS and ask if their lifetime warranty was real. They said absolutely, and got my info. The new arm arrived today without costing me a cent! That's what REAL customer service should be!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yeah, they're good about little piddly things like that.

When my expensive RCBS digital scale's load cell broke they said no dice, not under warranty, even though I was the original owner and had the receipt. They don't insure electronics- probably item the most prone to breaking after decapping pins in their whole lineup.

They had me send it back to PACT, who was the original manufacturer, at my expense for shipping- $10 each way, paid both ways. PACT charged me $15 to do something to it. It still didn't work. I had at this point invested $35 in repairs.

So I called both PACT and RCBS back. Said it didn't work. No, we don't warranty repair work. Tough luck. It was working at the factory when we repaired it. So I mail it back again (another $10), they fix it, this time for $55, and they charge me to ship it back ($10 more)- so this set of repairs cost $75.

$110 in repairs? Ok, that's a bit cheaper than a new scale, yes. But not by much.

Ever since then I have not bought one single RCBS or PACT product.

Their warranty is hype. They charge twice as much as Lee for their products that are increasingly poor in quality, and now outsourced overseas, just to cover the warranty and their customer service- and know fairly few people will ever need to use the warranty. What a rip off. I'd rather pay $30 instead of $40 for a set of dies and if the decapping rod broke, just order one for a buck.

Sorry to rant on but when it comes to customer service, I give them a C-.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    DAMN, JONK! I didn't mean to get you so riled up. I'll defer to you on the electronic RCBS devices and their quality or lack of. I'm still using the 10-10 scale that I bought in '74. No problems at all with this scale. I guess this just proves that modern technology isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just bought a set of .380 dies from LEE. As you said;$25 is a lot better than $40.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is that nobody warrantees any electrical parts in any area of manufactured goods. It is not a problem with RCBS or Pact it is a universal problem with any electrical item that you purchase. That is why they try and sell you an extended warranty. The extended warrantees are not very common in the firearms field but it is every where else and that is because electronics today are manufactured with cheap labor and cheap components.
    You can find one automotive parts store that takes returns on electrical parts and the same with appliance parts stores. This sh-t is designed to fail.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have called them three times and EVERYTIME they have taken care of the issues ( even one's I have admitted to misusing) and have replaced no questions asked and no proof of purchase. As a retail manager I can tell you service like that is certainly not common. My hats off to RCBS!Joe
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCBS 1500 combos are made in China. I do not have much faith in them for the long haul. Mine failed after three months, they sent me a brand new one, no problems.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a USED set of RCBS dies, and broke the decapping pin (my bad) bought a replacement set of pins- and they would not work- too fat. called RCBS, lady asked for numbers on die. Very old die, design had changed, current pins would not fit. I thanked the lady for her time- she said hold on- what's the address you want us to ship the REPLACMENT NEW DIE to? Huh? No charge, replaced the die, and tossed in a 5 pack of pins.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    always have had great service with them

way to go RCBS
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows! For a minute I thought I was the only one that had faith in RCBS' warranty.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS has been a standup company every time I needed something.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS will replace stuff even when you ADMIT you LOST it!
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I sent my Chargemaster 1500 back to RCBS they charged me $45 to fix it and they sent me a brand new unit instead of my old unit back.

My scale was 3 years old so I did nit expect them to warranty it but $45 for a brand new $300 machine in my opinion is taking pretty good care of your customers
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had great luck with RCBS!! I think that I am the only person whom I know that has ever broke the frame on a Rock Chucker press. Not sure how it happened but I sent it to them and it was replaced no questions asked. Outstanding company.

Todd
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my RCBS Rock Chucker while I was in high school back in 1972 and have loaded countless numbers of cartridges with it. I wore out the primer arm and called RCBS to buy a replacement, they sent it for free. Most of my RCBS dies had the old-style round locking rings and I wanted to install the latest hex-style rings, but since I needed dozens of them, it seemes cost prohibitive. RCBS said return the old rings (postage was cheap) and they sent me the new hex locking rings free of charge. The cost would have been about $100 if I had to buy them. RCBS customer service has been fantastic. I'm leery of the new electronic scales no matter who makes them, but i want one. I think that it's great when a company sends you free updated parts for 30+ year old dies.