In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black on shoulder and neck

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; I'm relatively new to reloading and I think I have a problem. But I'm not really sure.Could use some advice from you guys.
I loaded a box of 30-06 the other day, and went to try them before I loaded the other 5 boxes of shells I have. I only shot 3. I looked at the spent cases and saw that they were black on the neck and shoulder. Burnt powder? These are once fired cases I'm loading.
I'm using H4895 46gr, 150gr Hornady sp. OAL 3.367. The bullets measure .308 and have the crimp ring (Can't think of what the name of that is right now). I don't think its right for the powder burns on the shoulder and neck. What do you guys think? All advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mikecarol63,

Yes, that is burnt powder residue. It's no big deal if it's just on the neck. Down the shoulder a ways isn't too bad. I would back the die out 1/16th or 1/8th of a turn and that will have your shoulder seated a little tighter forward. You may also want to seat your bullets out a little more (if accuracy remains good and you aren't already in the lands) and don't crimp so much. I usually just run the die down to the case when it's all the way up on the plunger. Then I set the ring. There is just a tiny crimp that way. for any match bullets I back the die out 1/4 turn to make sure it doesn't crimp.

Typically, I get just a little around the mouth of the case with most loads. Better that than give up accuracy.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soot on the neck is fairly normal. It is often a sign of low to medium pressures, as when you begin with a Start load (as you did).

From your description, you are doing nothing wrong. I wouldn't worry. That is the Start-level load as shown in the Hodgdon manual, and you'll likely see the soot disappear as you work up a bit - if you plan to. If not, that's a good load and you needn't change a thing.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You could bump the powder charge up a half grain at a time so the pressure will expand the case to fill the chamber more. You can go to 51.0grs. max with H4895. Your accuracy might even be better. Other than that, the soot on the case won't hurt a thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much for your answers. I feel better now. Will take your advice and back off 1/16 turn. Again, thanks. Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mike,

Regarding that, I like to set my die to where the case just barely goes into the chamber easily. I like to have just the smallest interference fit. So, you may not end up backing out as far as 1/16th of a turn. 1/8th of a turn moves the die out pretty far. I would probably not end up going farther than that. That amounts to about .009". Which doesn't seem like much until you make comparisons on different necks how far you moved in or out. 1/16th is .0045"

Once you get your die exactly where you want it, index it with a sharpie to the press. Or leave a note in the die case when done reloading that caliber. The ring is supposed to lock it down but sometimes when removing and re-installing the die in the press it moves.

Edit:

+1 on what jonk said. I get wrapped up in the fact I no longer reload for any semi-auto rifles, and forget to allow for them.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    He didn't say what type of gun he was using. Semi auto and lever actions, pumps too, require full length sizing for reliable chambering (usually speaking). If a bolt action, do as suggested and back the die out a bit. Otherwise make sure it contacts the shellholder on sizing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Model 7600 Remington pump. Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mikecarol63,

Well then, I would definitely go with jonk's advice and NOT bump the die back. A pump/semi-auto/lever gun have way less leverage on even the slightest 'snug fit' case. What you have is normal and I would leave it where it's at.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    large chamber and low pressure, try bumping the charge up
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If those rounds are working in your pump with standard dies you are a lucky man . The soot you are describing is what you want to see in your pump , you will get that when they chamber well . I usually have to use small base dies to get them to slide in nice and free. Now start bumping that load up till the accuracy goes south or you reach max . when you start to see cratering around the firing pin dent you are getting close max for your pump . I tinker with Rem. pumps alot , have for years . I hunt with one 80% of the time , Fastest aimed shots in the woods !!!