In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What would it cost

If I wanted to start reloading 38 special/.357 mag. How much would it cost me to get started? I have no equipment yet.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends. $15 for a Lee loader. Works fine but is slow. You have to use a rubber mallet to whack the thing around.

Figure $100-$150 for a basic single stage setup with dies if you use a press.

Then of course powder, primers, bullets. $40/1000 for primers if you can find them, $25ish per pound for powder, bullets depend on what you want- anywhere from $6/100 for cast lead up to a buck a bullet for fancy defensive types.

The cheapest box of 50 at midway costs $15 (plus shipping of course) for Aguila. At the prices I quote above, assuming you go with the cheap bullets and have saved cases already (meaning you don't buy them) or can pick them up at the range for free, you'd be at about $6.43/50 loaded. Meaning the Lee loader would pay for itself in 3 boxes of ammo, or the low end press set ups in about 20-25 boxes.
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Depends. $15 for a Lee loader. Works fine but is slow. You have to use a rubber mallet to whack the thing around.

Figure $100-$150 for a basic single stage setup with dies if you use a press.

Then of course powder, primers, bullets. $40/1000 for primers if you can find them, $25ish per pound for powder, bullets depend on what you want- anywhere from $6/100 for cast lead up to a buck a bullet for fancy defensive types.

The cheapest box of 50 at midway costs $15 (plus shipping of course) for Aguila. At the prices I quote above, assuming you go with the cheap bullets and have saved cases already (meaning you don't buy them) or can pick them up at the range for free, you'd be at about $6.43/50 loaded. Meaning the Lee loader would pay for itself in 3 boxes of ammo, or the low end press set ups in about 20-25 boxes.

Thank you jonk. What about dillon precision?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Dillon square Deal is for pistol calibers only. They will send it to you set up for the caliber and bullet you want to use. If you have any problems, they are the best guys to call, they work with you while talking you through the problem. No questions if you break a part or lose it.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    How much do you want to load?

It's gonna take several hundred boxes of that ammo to make it pay off to buy a dillon progressive press. I also would not recommend ANY brand of progressive for the beginning reloader. Get good with a single stage, then go progressive is the general advice.

If you DO go for a progressive, while I am a stout supporter of Lee, their progressive presses aren't that great. While I think the Dillon is the Cadillac of presses, and have loaded many rounds on them, I think they are a bit 'hype' and that RCBS, Hornady or Lyman progressive presses are just as good and a lot cheaper.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Frontiersman101
    If I wanted to start reloading 38 special/.357 mag. How much would it cost me to get started? I have no equipment yet.

Please do yourself a favor and search for reloading threads in this forum. there are several very good discussions about the topic the threads have a wealth of information in them.

I will also repeat myself here for clarity. I do NOT and will NEVER recommend a progressive press for a beginning reloader. Until you learn there are just too many pitfalls. That is my opinion, take it as you will.

I have loaded many hundreds of thousands of rounds, a lot of it on Dillon commercial equipment, they are the best IMNSHO. To this very day still use single stage presses for loading the several thousand rounds I shoot each year. I have all my fingers, eyes and all my guns are intact.

If you have a local Ad Taker run an add looking for old reloading equipment. I got many thousands of dollars worth of "stuff" for a hundred bucks last fall. Used equipment could get you started for under $150.00 if someone in your area is looking to retire. Your cost per box is about half using jacketed bullets and less that 1/3 if you cast your own.
    edited November -1

It's gonna take several hundred boxes of that ammo to make it pay off to buy a dillon progressive press. I also would not recommend ANY brand of progressive for the beginning reloader. Get good with a single stage, then go progressive is the general advice.

If you DO go for a progressive, while I am a stout supporter of Lee, their progressive presses aren't that great. While I think the Dillon is the Cadillac of presses, and have loaded many rounds on them, I think they are a bit 'hype' and that RCBS, Hornady or Lyman progressive presses are just as good and a lot cheaper.

As much as I can aford! I have used my uncles Dillon press befor. I Would like too buy a used one if I can. Is there a place to buy them used?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

As much as I can aford! I have used my uncles Dillon press befor. I Would like too buy a used one if I can. Is there a place to buy them used?

WWW.gunbroker.com [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

WWW.gunbroker.com [:D]

WOW! I feal like an idiot! Damn.[:D]