In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.8 hunting round question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
hello, looking for the best thing out there for whitetail deer in a 6.8 cal. the other problem is finding it! any help? thanks

Comments

• Options
    hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's the 6.8 SPC caliber you're interested in, there aren't many conventional hunting rifles chambered in it, was only offered in the Rem 700, Browning A-bolt, and T/C G2 Contender. Here's a link to a 700 on Gunbroker.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138296029

If you're OK with an AR style platform, then you have gobs of choices. If you're interested in the 6.8 mm bore caliber (.270 Win) in general, then the sky is the limit....tons of guns out there.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redman- are you looking for a gun, a load suggestion or loaded ammo?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify, 6.8mm is .277 cal.(diameter). No difference. Bullet weights come in 90 to 160 gr. I thought I used to see 85 gr. though.

Popular cartridges in this bullet diameter are the 6.8 SPC, .270 Win (one of the all time best selling cartridges), .270 WSM and .270 Weatherby (his first commercial offering). Not so well known calibers (wildcats as far as I know) are the .270 Savage, .270-08, .270AI and the .270-7mmR. The last is pretty redundant to the 7mm Rem, but the owner liked .270 more than 7mm.

As noted in previous paragraph the .270 is one of the all time leading sellers in rifle cartridges. Same with reloading dies. Some consider it too much for little stuff and not enough for big stuff. But I know a man who shot an Alaska brown bear with one. People up there thought he was nuts. But he killed it with three shots. Any one of the three was a mortal wound. It's also very popular in my home state of NV where long shots are the norm and flat shooting rifles are preferred. They also like the best they can get off the shelf without a lot of fuss. Just about every rifle maker provides that with the .270 Win. And, just like the .30-06, you can find rounds for it at nearly every mom&pop store ten miles from your camp.