In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloader 17

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
I was just load testing Re-17 in my 6mm Rem (24" barrel) Running 90 gr. Speer SP/FB's up to 3500 fps. I started with the load I normally use for the 95 gr. Berger which is 45.5 gr. of H4350x. So, starting at 45.5 and working up in .2 gr. increments of two cases each level. I went up to 46.7 gr. The lowest load produced 3325, and the next load was 3360. 45.9 produce 3450 avg. 46.1 gr. went 3505/3515. All the way up the groups stayed at 3500-ish. The powder does as advertised and retards burn when pressures get too high. I never did notice flattened primers. They had the little cratering 'splash' but no flattening. Maybe the CCI primers are harder than the Win LR's I've used for so long. I plan on starting a starting load of 44.5 for the Berger 95 gr. VLD's.

Long and short of it is, in my mind, 3500 is too fast for 90 gr. Speer flatbases out of a 6mm Rem or .243. But the loads didn't show pressure signs. The best accuracy came from the 46.1 gr. @ 3450. So, even though the burn retardant is integral throughout the powder instead of just coating the kernels, it still tends to go erratic once you pass a threshold. Groups were typically side by side with the 46.1 group touching, to 1.5" on the last couple. One ladder doesn't tell all but that tells me enough about going too high with the load.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone tried RL17 in the 338 win mag with a 200 gr bullet? If so what were the results is it proving to be better than RL19 or IMR 4831 for this caliber
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, I was thinking of trying that powder in my 25wssm, will use up my IMR4350 1st though.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good info. Thanks.
    I'm playing with a .240 PSP right now, and will try some RE17.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by awinds
    Good info. Thanks.
    I'm playing with a .240 PSP right now, and will try some RE17.

If I may ask, what is that case based on? The reason I ask is because I noted with the .243 and the 6mm that the shorter cased .243 tends to build pressures faster. This probably will apply to the 25 WSSM. The 6mm still builds pretty quick once it reaches the threshold but not as fast as the .243. Tonight I tested 80 gr. fb/sp's in it in front of 45 gr. of RE-17. The initial loads went 3560- and the middle loads went 3590-3600. I was trying to give the barrel time to cool. The last two went 3620/3622. That wasn't a ladder. Sooooo, we will be bringing it down even more. Probably 43.5.

On the other hand I got the 6mm down to where it should be. I was pushing 95 gr. Berger VLD's out at 3200 avg. And getting very good groups. 1/4-1/2".

I dodn't advocate knowingly severely exceeding pressures. These are loads that fall into the niches of what there is no information for. Knowing that this is a pressure powder (nitro Glycerin added) with a burn speed between 4350 and 4831 I surmised that mid loads of 4350 would suffice. You would be better off starting a grain under 4350 loads to work up with this powder. The good thing about this powder is due to it's chemical make-up I haven't blown a single primer with it. In that respect it certainly is what it's advertised to be.
  • Options
    Southern-XSouthern-X Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new reloader guide from Alliant has load data for RE 17 and also has all the WSM's & WSSM's. Go to Alliant's website and request one and they'll send you one at no charge.