In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Die adjustment ?

I have been loading rifle rounds for 10+ years. I recently decided to start reloading my pistol rounds 357mag I cant get the crimp udjusted correctly. I am getting way to much crimp so much that is cutting into the bullet.

I backe the die off a 1/4 turn at a time until I get no crimp and then tunrn it in until the round will go into the cylinder but that is when I see the casing cutting into the bullet

Am I maybe belling the case mouths to much? Then having to use to much crimp to get the case straight again?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I would invest in a taper crimp die. The problem with most factory dies is they are roll crimp and a case length difference between 2 cases of .010 will result in one case not completely removing the mouth bell from the belling die to one that is over crimped and deforming bullet.Remember you are trying to push the bullet down and crimp at the same time [xx(][:(!][:(] With a taper crimp you seat the bullet with one die and taper crimp to crimp about .002 smaller then the case 1/4 inch below the mouth. This works MUCH better.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. I will get one ordered tonight
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Lee factory crimp dies [;)]
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cannelures on jacketed bullets and the crimping groove on cast bullets are fairly wide. The timing between the seating stem, crimp shoulder, and ram bottoming out can be set to coincide with a short case at the lower limits of the cannelure. This will allow for the variation of case lengths encountered so that the longer ones can "bite" into the cannelure groove instead of bullet jacket.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting jacketed or cast revolver bullets with a cannelure or crimp groove, it should be possible to adjust the seating die to crimp as it seats. A quarter turn is too much, just tweak it a little at a time, maybe half a flat on the locknut - 1/12 turn.

If you are shooting smooth sided plated bullets, then you need a taper crimp die.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    I have been loading rifle rounds for 10+ years. I recently decided to start reloading my pistol rounds 357mag I cant get the crimp udjusted correctly. I am getting way to much crimp so much that is cutting into the bullet.

I backe the die off a 1/4 turn at a time until I get no crimp and then tunrn it in until the round will go into the cylinder but that is when I see the casing cutting into the bullet

Am I maybe belling the case mouths to much? Then having to use to much crimp to get the case straight again?
    My opinion is we need to know what make/type bullet you are using to address your question/problem.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    turn it in until the round will go into the cylinder
    [/quote] ARE YOUR CASES TOO LONG? If the slightly crimped cartridge won't chamber Maybe you are folding over a case that needs trimming. Eddie