In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder question for 45 Auto

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
I generally use Unique powder for loading 45 Auto but it is really getting hard to come by here in North Texas.

Since I ran out of Unique I have been using HS-6 which seems to do pretty well but it too is starting to be hard to find.

Other powders don't seem to be as scarce so I am wondering what some of you use for 45 Auto reloads.

What are some of your favorite pistol powders?

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For target loads Hodgdon Titegroup, hands down. It usually runs a couple bucks cheaper and will load just about every pistol caliber. Burns clean and it is not position sensitive so you can load larger cases without sporadic performance.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot Bullseye by Alliant in my 45s for ever, standard load for 200gr bullet is 5grains. I use it in my 38 supers also. It's pretty easy to find up here on the left coast.
    W.D.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hard to beat Bulls-Eye I have tested a bunch of powders over the years and nothing has beaten Bulls-Eye I have loaded over 300,000 rounds of it Cheaper then most other powders also [:p]
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use Winchester 231, 700X, and AA5.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    WW 231 and Bullseye.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have not reloaded .45 in a while but last time I did I used Unique too.

When working up a load for my subsonic 9mm I ended up using Tightgroup because it worked and also because it was very clean.

I will probably use 231 next time I load because I bought an 8lb jug when it was cheep. I was going to use it for my 9mm SS load till I saw how dirty it was and heard about the bad things it does to silencer internals.
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input folks...I have not looked at Bullseye or TiteGroup but will check them out.

Looking at a listing of powders from the fastest to the slowest I used Unique as a reference point and foumd the following:

#17....Win 231
    #24....AA No.5

#26....Unique
    #27....WSL
    #28....AA Power Pistol

#34....HS-6

HS-6 was slightly above the median point on the list.

Right now I'm trying to find a dealer in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that the "hoarders" haven't found yet and might have a decent selection of "Pills" and "Powder"....

Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    Hello I know many people like 231 But . In extensive testing by a number of NRA Bulls-Eye shooters there are a number of us that have concluded that 231 for some reason seems to be erosive on both CHAMBERS and bore in the 45ACP with the hardball equivalent loads. This would not affect 90 % of all shooters but only those that shoot 5000 + rounds a year. YMMV.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a very serious look at Solo 1000.
    It is a single base powder and is the cleanest I have ever shot through my suppressed SMGs.

CP
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I know many people like 231 But . In extensive testing by a number of NRA Bulls-Eye shooters there are a number of us that have concluded that 231 for some reason seems to be erosive on both CHAMBERS and bore in the 45ACP with the hardball equivalent loads. This would not affect 90 % of all shooters but only those that shoot 5000 + rounds a year. YMMV.

That is the same thing people shooting suppressors said.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Go with Titegroup! This powder is similar to Bullseye, but is a lot cleaner.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter - Could you point me in the direction of supporting info on 231 as I use it in my 45, it really performs well.
    edited November -1
    Hello 5M.M.There is a Bulls-Eye group with people from Master Pistol-Smiths to 9 time national Champion Brian Zines on Bullseye LAVA LIST.com. you would need to join"free of charge " TO VIEW THE POST ON THIS VERY SUBJECT many times. If you are interested in joining send me a personal email via my profile with your direct email address. Cheers Karl.
  • SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree w/ BHAVEN & Hodgdon powder. If you get a chance try loading Clay's (Hodgdon) powder in your .45 ACP. Here in N. Texas it is readly available--and it shoots clean w/ 'lil recoil.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arby,

I loaded up with Bullseye and unique and found them both dirty in my pistol. So I still have most of a can of each in my reloading room. I heard Clays was really clean to shoot. So I tried some and it was. The problem with it is it doesn't meter near as well as most ball (double-base) powders. I also didn't get the velocities I wanted. So then I wanted to go to AA #5 but couldn't find any. Instead I went with AA #7. Shoots clean but has some recoil. Great velocities though. So, when AA #5 comes along I'm going to try that.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned 700X or 800X. I'm not much of a pistol shooter but I've loaded both 45 and 357 with these and they all went "bang".
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I used 800X for a while. Very good accuracy but the most unburned powder flakes of any powder tried.
    Also use PB at times as I have 8lbs of it.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure you can find unique. Go to your local wally world. They got tons of it here. I always enjoyed bullseye but unique is easy to find here.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that the 45 ACP is a low-pressure round and therefore will run best on a powder designed for low pressure use.

There are a few shotgun powders designed for fairly high (for a shotgun) pressures that will still be dirty and inefficient in a 45 ACP. IMR 800X is one such powder.

There are a couple dozen powders that will either shine or be acceptable in the 45 ACP. The round was designed for Bullseye, and that is STILL the powder of choice for military 230 ball ammo - even though a non-canister version of Bullseye is what the military uses.

Canister Bullseye, Clays, Nitro 100, VVN310, VVN320, RedDot, Promo, HP38/W231, e3, PB, A#2, A#5, Green Dot, 700X, American Select, WST, Universal Clays, Unique and SR7625 are only a few of the available powders that fit the bill.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.