In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

groove dia.marlin 94

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
Hello all i have a marlin 1894 made in 1897. caliber is 38-40 loaded some cast bullets same as for my 1873's while shooting noticed the marlin seemed to be slighly tearing the paper. i sluged it last night came out to be .409 bore dia. was shooting .401 bullets. my ? is would a 41 cal. at .410 be approx. correct to make up the difference.
no doubt alot of blackpowder and wear has caused some of the difference. or was toleralances back then that loose and varible? any suggestions would help. thanks in advance Kevin

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    most black powder cals. used either an oversized grove dia. (.38/55-.380", .38/40-.409", ect.) or an undersized bullet (.44/40-.426") to compensate for the b.p. fouling. correctly sized bullets will shoot best. I have a couple of .44/40's that I shoot .429" bullets in with no problems.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a general rule of thumb a bullet sized to .001 over groove diameter is a great place to start when seeking accuracy and stability.