In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Small base dies

rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Have only reloaded for bolt actions in the past, but may start doing some 284 in a winchester 100 semi auto. What are your thoughts on using small base dies. Are they needed or just stick with the regular full length sizing dies?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i got yet another case stuck in my rcbs dies tonight. this time managed to get through about 25 cases befor one got stuck. these were lubed with the roll pad again and a q-tip with the spray lube stuck down the neck. im reloading these to shoot in a bushmaster xm15. are small based dies required for loading in all semi auto rifles? could using small base dies be the reason for all the trouble im having? i just tried calling rcbs as i didnt see a email on their website and there closed till monday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been loading .223 using rcbs small base dies for an auto loader. Is this necessary? Its a lot more trouble and I get some stuck cases even though I lube them up pretty good. Would a set of Lee standard .223 dies work just as well? Any info is appreciated.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO there is no way to know without trying. Each chamber is different. and a lot will depend if you keep tract to only use the same cases that were shot in each rifle.

Edit regular dies if you just have one rifle and ALL cases were from ammo fired in that one rifle.

Edit II small base dies as the name implies will try to size the case smaller then a regular set of dies . If you have a large chamber in one of your rifles or getting brass from range pick -up ETC then this could cause the problem of stuck cases. I did not think to ask but you are not trying to use STEEL CASES [?][?]are you [V][xx(][:(]
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're sticking with small base dies, I don't see how regular dies would do anything other then aggravate the problem. Is the sizing die screwed all the way down, and 1/4 turn below seating against the shell holder?

Are you cleaning the cases, prefurably with a tumbler after lubricating and sizing them? I've also made the mistake of having the seating die set to low and pushing down on the neck and making the case bow out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am cleaning brass before I work it. Most of this brass is once fired range brass. Most of the stuck cases are PMC. I was just wondering if there was that much diffrence between a small base die and a standard die as far as sizeing for an auto loading rifle. I have always used a small base die for .223 for just that reason. Thanks for the replies, I sure appreciate the help.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Never had a .223 autoloader but I've had a lot of autoloaders in general.

I never understood the need for small base dies. A full length standard die returns the brass to SAAMI specs. Unless you have a very tight chamber, this should be fine for any gun you run across. I've not had issues with .308, 30-06, 7.5X54, or 7.92X57 in regular dies.

Now if you have accesss to brass fired from a machine gun with an unsupported breech (whatever the technical term may be) the brass may be a bit oversized beyond the ability of a standard die to handle. Then I'd say go for the small base.

I'd buy a set of standard dies and try resizing and chambering a round gently. If it works, great. If not, you should only need your small base die to reform the range brass once. After that it's sized for your chamber and standard sizing should be enough.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I have had problems with 223 Rem range brass in my Remington 760 when I size it with just a regular sizing die...never any problem when I use the small base die. I also have the die adjusted to headspace minus .002. The gun shoots great...1/2 inch 5 shots at 100 yards.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the small base dies exclusively for all my .223 & .308 auto loaders. Had some problems in one of my AR's and that alleviated the problem so now I just use it for all of them.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had issues reloading for my old mini 14 (181 series)in the past, Three friends and I would load 1000 rnds at a time. Thier 3 guns would function fine. I would have to load up mags and hand cycle them to see if my gun my gun would go into full battery till I found 'my share' that would work. We tried 2 sets of RCBS dies and a set of Lyman dies with the same results. Never tried a set of small base dies, I will try that if I ever start reloading for it again.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, small base dies are supposed to return brass to absolute SAAMI minimums, so in theory should produce brass that will chamber in any gun that also meets SAAMI standards.

But that's "in theory."

I think your problem is with the brass. "Once fired range brass" is not what I'd choose to use for any semi-auto because you have no clue what it has been fired in - or how it was loaded. Good new brass is available again. It isn't as cheap as it once was, but weigh a buck or three extra against the aggravation you're going through now. Worth it? It would be for me.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its not so much the agrivation, its just that if using a standard die would do the same I'm sure the brass would be a lot easier to work. Most of the brass will not be loaded again due to not being able to find all of it after shooting. I'm just kicking some ideas around and wanted second opinions. Everyone has had some really great thoughts on the subject.One thing is for sure, what I have loaded with the small base dies has functioned perfectly in two different mini 14's. I'm just trying to do the same thing except easier.:)Keep up the great ideas. Thanks