In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer question

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
have some primers that im going to sell on gb. need to know how to designate them by their #. in other words the # = small or large rifle or small or large pistol? i have rem.#2 1/2, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 7 1/2. also have shotgun primers no. 69, .57, and .97, if you could please tell me what they are used for. 12, 20 guage, ect. thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    what would happen if by mistake use large magnum primer in a 308 win? friend of mine did that last night and loaded 50rds that way using imr 4320 powder
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With the supply situation the way it is, I may not be able to match a particular primer brand with the powder brand that my manuals specify. What's the best way to handle this situation? Is it anything to worry about?
    I'm new to reloading & I don't want to do anything to hurt my gun or myself.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Which one of these two primers do you guys feel is better. CCI benchrest or Federal match?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have NEVER paid attention to the brand of primer called for in the load book. For that matter, I have paid scant attention to the brass brand being called for. My loads have always been middle of the road to begin with and carefully working up if I was seeking an accuracy node. My paramount consideration is accuracy since I never had a game animal notice the difference in 100 FPS MV; dead is dead.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +1 on BPOST 1958 same here.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since reloader safety states we should always take data and reduce it by at least 10% then work up from there every time we try a new load, the changed primer brand should not push you over the safety margin... unless maybe switiching a SP magnum primer instead of a standard SP in a tiny .32 auto case or something along that line...that might exceed the margin and cause some damage to a gun or shooter.

In any event, take it slow and easy, and you'll be OK.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Different primer manufactures do have slightly different mixtures in there products. For example, Winchester large rifle primers produce a larger spark than most primers and are better suited to ball powders. But for the most part, most shooters and firearms aren't good enough to notice the small different primers make in their reloaded ammo.

Using a magnum primer may cause problems when a load calls for a standard primer. Never use a large pistol primer in a rifle or rifle primer in a pistol. And as bpost1958 says, start low and work your way up.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a safe way to test any new or changed component, with the minimum use of scarce supplies, see my recently published article, here:

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/95S.htm
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. After months of waiting I finally got some reloading components and will load a few up today. I've never done it before so I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only exception would be substituting magnum primers when the recipe calls for regular primers--and vice versa. You can still use them (magnum), but the recipe changes. Just my 2 cents worth.....
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for what Skeedaddy said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I knew not to swap regular & magnum without adjusting powder levels, I was just wondering how different brands will affect performance, if at all.
    I got about 350 rounds loaded & plan to try them this weekend. I have a few different load strengths I'm working with and I'm curious to see how they work.
    I'm using Accurate #2 in both the .38 & .357 with Rainier 158gr FMJ flat nose bullets. I shot about a dozen off just to see if they'd work before I loaded up a large amount.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    ++1 on BPOST1958. I've reloaded since 1974, and have yet to give a damn about case or primer brands! Not one mishap in the last 35 years.
  • Options
    Hiline345Hiline345 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gregoryhart1
    Yeah, I knew not to swap regular & magnum without adjusting powder levels, I was just wondering how different brands will affect performance, if at all.
    I got about 350 rounds loaded & plan to try them this weekend. I have a few different load strengths I'm working with and I'm curious to see how they work.
    I'm using Accurate #2 in both the .38 & .357 with Rainier 158gr FMJ flat nose bullets. I shot about a dozen off just to see if they'd work before I loaded up a large amount.

I don't have much to add that these guys haven't already said except when making a new load I usually make a few ( like 100 or less) just in case something isn't right ( it doesn't fit in the mag, gun malfunctions, high pressure what ever)