In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

realistic range

RAY SEISERAY SEISE Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
mauser 98 1944 model semi sporterized action excelent barrel and rifling excelent 3-9 variable with custom loads 170 gr hdy rn cci primer,win 748 powder@54 gr.theoretically 2832 fps. any ideas? [8D] Ray

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on your capabilities. The rifle is capable of shooting extreme distances.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RAY SEISE,

Without trying to be too picky about ballistics, using your Roundnose bullet and your load suggested by Hodgdon, you will have about 1100 ft/lbs. of energy remaining at 300 yards. That's close to the suggested limit of the remaining energy. Your drop and drift will both be approximately 16.5" at the 300 yard mark.

You can improve on this by using a more efficient bullet but you won't realize a lot more advantage without a better scope.

Best.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    For what? Punching paper or hunting?

If loaded to maximum potential the 8mm probably has a slight advantage in over the 30-06. Your 170gr RN is not loading to max potential but is a good hunting bullet.

The gun is capable of a thousand yard hit on a man sized target with proper ammo, if all is in good shape. With your load, I agree with nononsense. For hunting, 300 yards, maybe 400 would be my max shot. Now if just punching paper, I'd say you could go a bit farther.

If you want to go past 300 yards for a hunting shot I'd say go with a heavier boattailed spire soft point of 200 grains. But again, developing a good load and shooting it well and having enough scope for a longer shot would all be issues.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about this for comparison. VZ24 cut and recrowned to 21" and restocked with no particular effort made to precision, plainjane 4x scope, and military trigger. I loaded 180 Nosler Ballistic Tips to a measured 2650 fps average. Shooting some today gave groups under 1 1/4" but not quite 1" but had some with 2 consecutive shots in one hole. This is as good as I can hold with 4x. Just proves that the old mausers can hold their own if given a chance. I expect much better groups would result if a better trigger was used and some bedding improvements made. This is the first time I've tried the Nosler 180's in 8mm and they sure impressed me.