In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

218 bee loading question

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I just purchased a used 12 inch barrel Taurus revolver in a 218 bee. I also purchased new Winchester brass. I tried putting the unloaded brass in the cylinder and it fits just fine. Problem is when I load it, the cases will not longer fit in the cylinder ( it seems to go all the way down to where the bullet is seated - as if the case bulges not allowing it ho any further. I am loading 40 gr. Hornaday v-max bullets. What the heck am I doing wrong? Thank you, Joe

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    make sure the seater die is not causing the shoulder to deform Take a new case that will chamber and then without loading powder or bullet run it through the seater die NO BULLET NO POWDER then take this case that you have run through the die and see if it will still chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good thought, I just tried it and nope. I think the bullet is pushing the brass outwards and may be a brass thickness problem. I am gonna try to outside neckturn. TY.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is the neck brass thickness- guess I have some work to do!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't be so hasty.

When you look at a case that won't chamber, do you see shiny marks on the neck? Or on the point of the shoulder?

If the marks are on the very corner of the shoulder, your die is buckling the case due to excessive crimp. That's what perry shooter was referring to, and it was also the first thing that popped into my mind.

You don't need a crimp at all for the revolver, so back the seater die out a half turn and try again. (You'll have to run the seater stem down a bit to compensate, of course.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.