In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chronometer question

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
I am in the market for a chronometer. I have been looking at a Chrony Beta Master and an F1 Master. Anyone have either of these or can recommend another good one for under $150?

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I have the beta master and have not had any trouble with it. I would buy it again
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I bought the Shooting Chrony years ago, and never had a problem with it. In fact I still have it and it's the one I loan out. Picked up a Beta Master a while back and does more than a friends Pact.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the master extensively, with no issues. Bright sun can cause missed shots with the bullet not tripping the sensor. A WalMart plastic bag taped over the sky screens fixes that problem every time.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    I have used the master extensively, with no issues. Bright sun can cause missed shots with the bullet not tripping the sensor. A WalMart plastic bag taped over the sky screens fixes that problem every time.

I just use the sky screens that came with it. Only problem I have has with the screens is that my .300 Wby would blow them off every 5 shots or so do to muzzle blast.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had an F1 and now have a master. For general purpose they are good, but not great. I do tend to get the odd velocity or error with it occasionally. Meaning I get a 100-200 fps drop but the bullet goes on top of the group. Or, just plain error that I have to shut it off and start again. They are unique in that they are modular and you can upgrade your basic box to having an all out printer and data arrangement for the loads you're working up.

However, as far as really precision accuracy goes I would opt for an Oehler. However, I just read that they have suspended handloader models. Their industrial models will continue to be produced. so for now, the options seem to be Chrony and Pact. I haven't worked with a Pact so I can't say how good they are or aren't. If the choice is Chrony or nothing, definitely get the Chrony as they are pretty useful. Same for Pact I would think. They have established a good enough reputation that to get one or not should be a no-brainer. Get one and use it.

Edit:

The Master is around $100, and the F1 is about $10-$20 less. MidwayUSA, Brownells, Graf's, Gunstop all have them.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered a Beta Master from Midway. They have them on sale for $112.99 from 132.99. They also have some Hornady .40 155 JHP bullets in stock, so I snagged 300 of them. I thought I better leave some for the rest of you guys.[:D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the beta master,..seems spot on accurate.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The beta master is an excellent choice.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are both ok! I've got the cheaper one and only problem I have is when testing Black Powder velocities! Have to sit it back about 12-15 ft and protect the face from powder blast and plastic sabots and it still falses sometimes! Have a very old model pact that does not even use skyscreen and it does it all with no problems, got it at a auction for $5! I wrote to the company about the chrony falsing and wanted their recommendations or opinion, and they never would reply, so I figured they knew and did not want to respond or admit, but the unit is real good for archery and smokeless powder guns!
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you looking for a really accurate watch (chronometer) or a device to measure the speed of a bullet (chronograph)?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the beta master as well.