In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Split cases on factory cartridge?

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
I picked up a revolver today. It came with about a half box of old Federal Classic 32 H&R Mag 85gr Hi-Shok JHP. I get home and start looking over the old ammo and 3 of 24 cartridges had a split in the brass from the crimp line on the bullet to about 1/3 down the case. I've never seen this on factory ammo. Anyone else experience this?
[?][?]
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32 H&R mag are famous for split cases.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had this happen with some Remington .357 brass but the cracks didn't occur until after I shot it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Federal brass has had Quality control problems The military Pistol teams canceled a long standing contract for match 45ACP years ago because Federal would not make good defective BRASS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was quite suprised to see the splits. So, I am assuming these are not safe to fire? Should I destroy them? There are no signs of any powder sifting through, but the cracks are there.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had that happen with .257 Roberts Federal premiums several years back. The word I got was some chemical spilled on the brass thereby hardening it and it split. The 2-for-1 boxes they replaced it with didn't. And I sure enjoyed shooting them.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    Yeah, I was quite suprised to see the splits. So, I am assuming these are not safe to fire? Should I destroy them? There are no signs of any powder sifting through, but the cracks are there.

I would call or write Federal and tell them what you found. As expensive as ammo is these days a coupon good for a box or two of replacement ammo might be offered.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen this with new 38 & 357 ammo. Noticed cracks after cleaning & prior to reloading. They more than likely had the cracks before I fired them.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    A-MERC cases are split, bent, mangled and cracked most of the way from bullet to rim in most calibers I've seen, and are still selling like hotcakes!
    I have a "new" box of 50 .30 Carbine that has 34 splits, 9 bent under the bullet, 2 without primers, and 5 that look safe to fire.
    I'm hanging on to this box till the gun show, and then I'm going to get my money back!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, over a week since I emailed Federal with no response. I still have the three cartridges and will hold onto them. I fired the rest of the box with no problems (but over half of the fired brass ended up slit just like Brier49 said)
    Gunnut505, I think someone tried to pull one over on you. I would get my $$ and then some [;)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Federal has taken care of me. Other than the nightmare I had trying to send the cartridges back via UPS, everything went very well. Even after not being able to confirm or deny the splits were any fault of Federal's, they reimburssed me for the shipping, and then some. I don't think I could ask for anything more than to be treated fairly.