In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet Moulds: Cast Iron vs Aluminum.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
I wonder of the many people out there who cast their own bullets prefer Lee aluminum moulds over cast iron moulds. It seems Lee is the only company that I know of that sells aluminum moulds. I have been casting bullets for 25 years and I am a big fan of aluminum, however there is a limited choice of aluminum moulds out there.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all can make perfectly good bullets. Iron moulds wear longer but can rust. Aluminum won't rust but can be damaged.

But when I can buy four Lee moulds for the cost of one Lyman or RCBS, that settles it for me.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    They all can make perfectly good bullets. Iron moulds wear longer but can rust. Aluminum won't rust but can be damaged.

But when I can buy four Lee moulds for the cost of one Lyman or RCBS, that settles it for me.

Agree Rocky, the first time I used iron moulds, I left everything in my garage to cool. When I came back to cast more, several days later, I noticed surface rust all over my moulds. Learned a lesson there. I sprayed them with WD 40 afterwards even though it took forever for them to cool down.
    On the same subject of heat transfer, it seems to take forever for my cast iron moulds to get to the right temp. That Problem went away with aluminum moulds. Yes my alum moulds do get too hot, but if they sit for a minute, they quickly cool and I can resume casting again. Iron takes too long. I agree 100% on the cost issue. Just wish their were more choices.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I believe RAPINE also makes alum. molds, I have both and they all work well
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I believe RAPINE also makes alum. molds, I have both and they all work well

Mike, I never heard of RAPINE before. Who sells them?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link, but not directly to them.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Rapine.Bullet.Mould.Manufacturing.LLC.215-679-5413

Google has more - including one that lists their moulds at just under $100 a pop.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When casting LOTS of pistol plinking bullets the Lee six cavity bullet molds are fantastic. They really make casting a lot of decent bullets real easy.

When getting a mold for a caliber that is not going to be used a lot, I get the Lee two cavity due to cost.

If I want a mold to last forever I get a Lyman and treat it very carefully.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by bpost1958
    When casting LOTS of pistol plinking bullets the Lee six cavity bullet molds are fantastic. They really make casting a lot of decent bullets real easy.

When getting a mold for a caliber that is not going to be used a lot, I get the Lee two cavity due to cost.

If I want a mold to last forever I get a Lyman and treat it very carefully.

Agree, I have shot thousands of 38/357s using the Lee 6 cavity moulds. This mould is unbelievably fast. I have several Lee 44 mould that are over 20 years old and still work as good as new, I never have dropped one fortunately. I swear by the accuracy of the 148 swc. using 2.8 gr of bullseye. With a rest, I can shoot exceptionally tight groups from a 6" S&W. Same with the 255 gr 44 cal.
    Will check out Rapine
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Don't forget brass. Brass is my favorite. It has the heat capacity of iron but handles well and doesn't rust like iron.

Very few make brass molds though. CBE of Australia is about it. And while fine molds, they are a bit pricey.

One has to look at the basics. I buy a mold because I have a gun with a bore of roughly that diameter. I can always size the bullet down to fit, or lap the mold a bit to get it slightly fatter. But I have a gun with roughly that diameter bore.

That determined, I look at available choices. If Lee has something that might work I will probably go with them first due to costs. If I can't get their offerings to perform, I move to something else, usually Lyman. But yes, Lee is my first choice. And generally has what I need.

Some exceptions: My Mosins and Enfields like a .315" bullet. Lee's mold offerings only go up to a nominal .312". Yes, as I say, I could lap the mold out. But CBE had on hand an extra-fat 215 gr mold designed specifically for the 303 so I went with that.

Another case- Lee just doesn't make anything quite suitable for a .32 acp. So I got the Lyman. Turns out it also makes a good plinker bullet in my M1 carbine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Don't forget brass. Brass is my favorite. It has the heat capacity of iron but handles well and doesn't rust like aluminum.

Very few make brass molds though. CBE of Australia is about it. And while fine molds, they are a bit pricey.

One has to look at the basics. I buy a mold because I have a gun with a bore of roughly that diameter. I can always size the bullet down to fit, or lap the mold a bit to get it slightly fatter. But I have a gun with roughly that diameter bore.

That determined, I look at available choices. If Lee has something that might work I will probably go with them first due to costs. If I can't get their offerings to perform, I move to something else, usually Lyman. But yes, Lee is my first choice. And generally has what I need.

Some exceptions: My Mosins and Enfields like a .315" bullet. Lee's mold offerings only go up to a nominal .312". Yes, as I say, I could lap the mold out. But CBE had on hand an extra-fat 215 gr mold designed specifically for the 303 so I went with that.

Another case- Lee just doesn't make anything quite suitable for a .32 acp. So I got the Lyman. Turns out it also makes a good plinker bullet in my M1 carbine.

Your right, brass moulds are scarce, I saw a round ball brass mould at a gunshow once and that was it. I do reload 32acp and 30 carb, but never used cast bullets. Might have to give that a try.

On the subject of Rapine moulds, I found plenty of info on their products, but no retailers.

From the responses gathered here, I can see I am not the only one using aluminum moulds. Seems RCBS and Lyman would follow suit. Machining costs would be much lower.