In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30 carbine hollow point?

I can't seem to find any info, is a hollowpoint made for this round?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    yup, winchester makes these. try midway or grafs
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Winchester makes a HP. There some other brands that have SP's.
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. All I could find was loaded ammo, and was looking for some bulk bullets. I will check with grafs, and Midway.

Cheers
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A word of caution. One of the major magazines(I think it was HANDLOADER) Did an in depth article a couple of issues ago and that writer found that hollowpoints would not feed (cycle) at all through his M1 carbine. The article was really good and had a bunch of great loads.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would definitely stick to a rounded profile on the bullet nose. Years ago, we loaded Speer flatnose HP for the 30/30 and found them to perform ok but a little stubborn to feed in some rifles.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck has it right, those carbines and magazines were all geared for ball ammo. any thing else and they tend to get picky. Stay with a roundnose if possible. Plan to get a dozen or so 15 rnd mags and try each one in turn and polish the lips and feed ramp. We had some success with what I believe was a Hornady spire shaped bullet 25 years ago. They worked well in a friends carbine but my carbine only worked well with one mag. All this assumes you are shooting them out of a carbine of course.
  • Options
    navlav8rnavlav8r Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The magazine article in Handloader that B17-P51 is referring to was written by Mike Venturino and the hollowpoint that he had so much trouble with was the Speer 110 flat nose, hollow point. The Winchester HP profile is very close to the standard ball profile. If you can't fine the Win HP, the Remington 110 soft point feeds well in all my carbines. BTW, there is a partial box of Win HP cartridges on auction as we speak-search winchester m1 carbine.
  • Options
    ward47ward47 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with my GI carbine, it wouldn't feed the flat nose 110gr hollow points at all.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't own one, but have heard that the Speer Plinker or Hornady 100-gr half-jacket feed well and expand at least as well as a hollowpoint. They're cheap, too.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.