In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloads for romak3 , psl

spider65spider65 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Any one have info for me I heard you shouldnt useany thing bigger then a 150 grn bullet and regular primers are too soft they cause slam fire please let me know deer hunting is just around the corner and I cant find 150 grn soft point ammo anywhere in 7.62x54r

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem. I have plans to do it someday, but have not yet. By the time you buy the dies, brass, bullets, ect it will not be real cheep if that is what you are looking for. In reality it for what it would cost to load 100rds of 150gr SP ammo you could buy a MN and 100 rounds of loaded ammo for it..........
  • spider65spider65 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats just it I cant find 150grn sp for 7.62x54r
    edited November -1
    You need to be more clear here.

You can not find any 150gr SP ammo or bullets?

I have not seen any 150gr SP, or other hunting style, loaded ammo for the 7.62x54r.

I have found lots of 150gr hunting style bullets (not ammo) for loading but most places are out of stock right now.

My point earlier is that depending on how much of this ammo you plan to shoot it might be cheeper to buy a MN and some loaded 200ish gr SP ammo that is commercially available vs buying all the stuff to hand load assuming you already set up to load. If you are not set up to hand load it will cost way more to do this.
    edited November -1
    my question was i had read that the romainian psl was designed for 150grn bullet and that useing heavier bullets well batter the rifle and you dont find loaded ammo in 150 grn sp for it
    edited November -1
    Correct. The PSL/Romak/SSG-97/ect were ment for the ammo in the 150gr range. Using heavier ammo will damage it.

After doing some more looking I found some. Last time I looked about 2 years ago I was not able to find any.

Prvi Partizan ammo has been a new big hit on the market over the last year or so. I have some for my .300 Win Mag but have not shot much of it yet. My neighbor ran 100rds though his hunting .30-06 and was very happy with it and I just ordered him another 100rds.

They are backordered right now but says some should be in soon, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=442368
    edited November -1
    that what i wanted thanks graf&sons has 150 sp ammo 7.62x54r it was in there last catalog. what about slam fire they said the same about my garand but it hasnt happened yet
    edited November -1
    Grafs is showing out of stock too. Not sure when they are getting more in. Midway shows 9-26-09 as an in-stock but that does not mean it is true.

I would not worry about slam fires unless you have something really wrong with your gun and are proper ammo. If you are following the rules of gun safety, always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, your risk of hurting anything from having a slam fire is very low.

Any gun with a floating firing pin has a "risk" of slam fire but in reality in 99% of guns in proper working order and proper ammo it will not happen.
    edited November -1
    thanks Im going to load some up an try it out
  • shalafi4shalafi4 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok I don't know if a PSL has the same twist rate as an actual Dragunov but the russian sniper rounds are 173? grain (mid 170ish)