In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speer Load Data?

asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody got a Speer manual with load data for their 38/357 shot capsules?
I'm hoping they have a load listed for H4227.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try www.icehouse.net/fgrig/gun/shot.htm There is some load data there.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the capsules, there is load data printed on the box. If you don't have them - why ask? (No, no data for 4227 - completely wrong powder.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been using 5.3g of Unique for many years (the back of the shot shell capsule box shows 5.5g). I agree with Rocky. 4227 is not the correct powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    We have been using 5.3g of Unique for many years (the back of the shot shell capsule box shows 5.5g). I agree with Rocky. 4227 is not the correct powder.

So the load data is on the box? I've read reviews on midway, and a couple complained that data wasn't on the package. Everywhere I searched online I found reference to Bullseye and nothing else, but Unique I can do. I still have some left from pattern testing my shotgun.
    What I'm looking at is the cost of the capsules plus a pound of powder only to use a small portion of the powder. My paychecks only go so far.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ahh, now it's clear why you asked.

First, it is possible that they no longer print the data on the box. Mine is old enough to have a sale price of $1.37 !!

Second, it is a mistake to load these things hot. The faster you launch them, the worse your patterns will be. Slower and from a shorter barrel is best because both minimize the amount that the capsule will spin up. Spin makes for "doughnut" patterns that put the hole right where you're aiming!

I use 4.0 Unique or Universal in 38 Special cases and seat the capsules to an overall length of 1.5" I use #9 shot in mine, and the finer the better. No larger than 7 1/2 or you once again have "holey" patterns.

The one point that I disagree with in their instructions is about crimp. They recommend a firm crimp on the capsule, but that just cuts it, IME. I use no crimp or flare, and run a TINY bead of superglue around the case mouth to lock the capsule in instead of a damaging crimp. Works perfectly for me, even if I load several shotloads in the cylinder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I'd give to find them at $1.37. Them things are 9 bucks now. And Universal is another powder I have on hand. Actually settled on it for my 2 1/2" 16's.

Yeah, I read several places about the velocity vs pattern problems with them. And thank greatly for the super glue tip, that ought to save me a little frustration.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My box is about three years old, so they might not print it on there anymore. I use a light roll crimp and have never had any problems but the superglue idea is intriguing.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've got to be really careful with that crimp-just enough but not too much. Either way makes a mess with loose shot everywhere.
    I had a customer ask to try some in his 44 a while back. He shot about 15=16 and brought a few loaded rounds back saying they weren't any good. Apparently, he had tried them by shooting a pop can at 25 yards. Some people just don't get it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Makes you wanna bang your head, don't it?

You'll get one inch of pattern spread for every FOOT of range. Ten feet away, it will be ten inches wide - and beginning to get enough holes in it to let a small pest get away.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Speer #11 manual lists the following for 38/357:
    Powder Wt. (Grs.)
    630 9.0 (with CCI Magnum primer)
    UNIQUE 5.5
    231 5.0
    BULLSEYE 4.5
    700X 4.5
    HP38 4.5
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Hunter. I've also got 700X on hand.

Mobuck, that guy sounds like my brother.
    I don't know where he got the idea, but he seemed to think my 3" #4 buck loads would be effective at 120 yards.
    I could have done several more set-ups that night. But no, I had to kill half the night tracking down a wounded son dog.