In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brass cleaning

I just put some new media ( tuffnut)
in the brass cleaner and it has left the inside of the cases with a red dust inside,i have always cleaned it out with rice or older media in the past but this time it is realy bad. Would you worry about it if it didnt come out completly clean ? Ive reloaded a lot of years and this seems to be the worst ever.

Comments

• Options
    Hiline345Hiline345 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of or used a brass polishing item from the hardware store.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought some used brass at a gun show the other day, and it looked like brand new brass. It still had the spent primers in it, so I know it wasn't new. The guy at the show said, "it's our little secret", so I have no clue how he did it. Anyone have a technique for getting the inside to look as shiny as the outside?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need to pick some brains. I have access to thousands of rounds of dirty to very dirty 9mm 40sw and 45 acp brass. Some of this is dark brown from exposure and some is bright on one side and discolored on the other from laying in shallow water. What is a good way to get this cleaned up? I have it separated by size in 5 gallon buckets so I could , in theory pour a solution in the bucket and let it sit. I live near a Cabelas store, so I was hoping they have a product that will WORK. As another option, are there brass dealers that will but it "as is" dirt and all or should I just save myself a lot of work and take it to the salvage yard for $1.68 per pound? Thanks in advance, all input is welcome Scott
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Bought BRASSO from the local hardware store lots of times.....
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am kind of * about my brass.
    First they get tumbled in coarse walnut with Iosso polish and a small amount of auto rubbing compound.
    Then they go in another tumbler with plain corncob.
    Then reload.
    Then back in plain corncob for an hr or two.

I like mine pretty.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know the Dillon stuff says that it doesn't have any ammonia. I am wondering if that effects the brass in any way.
    Thanks mrbruce I think I am going to try that unless someone can come up with a reason not to.
    quote:cpermd Posted - 09/25/2009 : 10:39:42 AM
    I am kind of * about my brass.
    First they get tumbled in coarse walnut with Iosso polish and a small amount of auto rubbing compound.
    Then they go in another tumbler with plain corncob.
    Then reload.
    Then back in plain corncob for an hr or two.

I like mine pretty.

CP
    I also like shiny brass makes people wonder if you bought or reloaded it. The Dillon polish is really a awesome product and it really works fast.
    I normally use Lyman Media but I had some untreated corn or walnut not sure what it is I bought it some ten plus years ago and never really used it. So I used it with the Dillon stuff and in a matter of minutes that stuff was beautiful.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well I for one am NOT * about my brass. It gets tumbled long enough to remove any range dirt or soot or anythign that might scratch my dies. Then sized. Alternatively, I might instead decap with a universal depcapping die that doesn't touch the brass, then dunk them in some boiling water for a few minutes with a little dish soap. It is enough to float off any dirt but won't take off really ground in soot or anything like that. In fact it does a far BETTER job of removing oil or bullet lube or whatever if you have any on the cases- as I sometimes do from cast bullets- than does tumbling, which often just results in a bunch of dirt and media sticking to the lube on the case.

Now at this point, it rather depends. I use Lee sizing lube which is water based, truly dries, and doesn't contaminate powder or primers once dry. I USUALLY will put the brass back in the tumbler long enough to remove the lube- might take 30 minutes or so. Sometimes though I just load as it sits. For high power rifle rounds I will definitely clean off the lube. For light power plinkers though- for instance cast bullets and reduced loads- I often don't bother.

Rarely do I tumble long enough to get it shiny. I've used several brands of media (as well as rice), several brands of polish, and I've found it just takes too long to get it shiny. I'm the impatient sort. Clean is good enough.

Now all that said- the point is that your brass doesn't have to be shiny, and if you plan on hand polishing each case with something from a hardware store, I think you are very quickly going to learn to live with grungy looking brass. It is a pain in the rear. I'd avoid any products with ammonia in them (of which I think Brasso is one).

What you might do is buy some coffee pot cleaner. It contains a very mild acid that might lightly etch the brass over a LONG time but won't weaken it otherwise. One bottle of it to a gallon of water makes a very good brass cleaner. The resulting brass will be a slightly orange color (yellow-orange) and it should be rinsed off, but it will be clean with a minimum of effort and fairly shiny. I have used this method for bulk cleaning pistol brass and it works just fine, and the solution is reusable- the dirt will settle and can be poured off. Leave your cases soak about 5-10 min.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hiline345
    I know the Dillon stuff says that it doesn't have any ammonia. I am wondering if that effects the brass in any way.

The ammonia crap is just another old wives tale. I've used Brasso mixed in my corn cob media for years and I've never had a problem with it.

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by Hiline345

The ammonia crap is just another old wives tale. I've used Brasso mixed in my corn cob media for years and I've never had a problem with it.

Smitty

I did some web search and found that ammonia eats away at the brass I have also read in a thread that one guy used it and it worked great but his second time he used the media it left the brass looking bad. I am not looking to making really shiny brass but I I just want to get my brass clean but if they do come out shiny I wont through them away.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    corn cob media for several hours gets them shiny with no extra work.
  • Options
    shalafi4shalafi4 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chemically the Ammonia Can eat the Zinc out of Brass... however at the concentrations in most cleaners (ie brasso) it would probably take days of a cartridge sitting in pure brasso to start pitting it. (it's cool to watch metals ammonia soluble metals "melt" though... but that takes concentrated ammonia to do it)
  • Options
    rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually just tumble mine in walnut media for a couple of hours then reload them. CPERMD I would be wary of tumbling loaded ammo. As it tumbles the powder gets finer and changes the characteristic's on the way it burns and could lead to dangerous pressures. Just another opinion.
    rudyj
  • Options
    WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rudyj
    I usually just tumble mine in walnut media for a couple of hours then reload them. CPERMD I would be wary of tumbling loaded ammo. As it tumbles the powder gets finer and changes the characteristic's on the way it burns and could lead to dangerous pressures. Just another opinion.
    rudyj

Sorry Rudy.
    You are incorrect.
    There have been hundreds of studies disproving this.
    I was present for some of them at the remington plant here in Lonoke.

WG
  • Options
    rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear WarGames. I have read this more than once, and can see where it might make a difference. I still wouldn't feel comfortable tumbling loaded rounds though. Just my opinion.
    rudyj