In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Argentine 7.65 Mauser questions...

I am looking for load data for argentine 7.65 mauser..
i plan to use lighter bullets, around 150 grains.

I have a very nice argentine 1909 I would like to keep to shoot, although i have only shot it on one occasion....

I shot Privi Partizani, bought from a local gunshow-And was highly dissapointed. This ammo is either out of spec, or loaded extremely hot!! not one cartridge would allow the bolt to close with ease, and i did notice about 30% of the bullets were not seated consistantly...

Most of all, the rifle recoiled harder than any surplus rifle (including 8mm Mausers) I have EVER fired!!!! I thought this cartridge was supposed to be mild??

I checked my rifle, headspace is perfect and bore is perfect...

Anyone have experience with Privi ammo?

From my experience I would never fire this ammo in the 91 argentine.

I would like to handload, any suggestions on loads?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I can't speak to the PRVI ammo having never fired it in this caliber. However, assuming you were firing the proper ammo (and if you know enough to check headspace I'm sure you were), I'd be suspicious of the particular lot of ammo.

I've also run into Argentines that had an in-spec chamber but for some unknown reason, die manufacturers and possibly ammo companies make products that don't size the case quite enough, resulting in difficulty chambering. FL sizing with Lee or RCBS dies often leads to this problem for me. Or it did until i got an RCBS case form die to set all the shoulders back a tad, then fireformed to the chamber the regular FL dies work great.

The Hornady .312 150 gr is a good bullet for these. I can get about 2" accuracy using it and IMR 4064. I've also done well with H414 and IMR 4831. For those you are just about filling the cartridge as they are slow burners.

It isn't a 'mild' cartridge. It is very close in ballistics to a .308. I also doubt that you'd be able to cram enough powder of 4895 or slower into the case to damage the gun, but I'm just adding that as a thought to the strength of the 98 Mauser, not advocating it. Meaning the PRVI probably was safe even if you found it a good thumper.
  • Options
    RAY SEISERAY SEISE Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SELLIER AND BELLOT IS ANOTHER HEAVY HITTER BUT IS OF THE BEST QUALITY,IF IT DONT FIT YOUR GUN RIGHT U GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE RIFLE IVE GOT A98 IN 8MM AND ALL THOSE EUROS KICK YOUR BUTT THEY ALL ARE CLOSE TO OR EXCEED 3000FPS
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just acquired an 1891 Sporter with 2 x 7 scope and glass bed the action to military stock and shot two shots into one hole at 50 yards. My recipe is 150 grain Hornady .312 dia. spire point over 45 grains of H-380 with Winchester Magnum Primer. Went on an early anterless hunt here and got the first good sized Doe with this 7.65 x 53. One Shot. First kill with the 7.65. I mostly Use the .30-30 & 6.5 x 55 but I'm liking this round alot too. The Norma stuff seems to be hot too. Fired Norma brand out of 1891 with no problems, but it did seem stout! I also like IMR 4895 with the 180 grain bullets. The 7.65 x 53 really is .308 +P+. Personally it's a much better round than that 7.62 NATO![:0]