In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

substitution of wads

Can I substitute WAA12F114-12 for WAA12 in a 1 1/8 load safety.I am loading 24.5 of PB,Remington 209 primer, 8800 PSI,1250 FPS in Remington gun club hulls.I got this load data from Hodgton.I can`t get a good crimp with the WAA12,but can get a perfect crimp with the WAA12F114.I have adjusted more pressure on wad but still dosen`t crimp good.

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be perfectly safe to use.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't the F114 wad intended for 1 1/4 oz loads? I guess if you get an acceptable crimp you're good to go. If they look a little low in the case you might put a 20ga paper overshot wad in the F114 before loading the shot. (love that PB)
    I suspect your crimp problem would go away if you were to change powders. Instead of bulky PB you might try one of the ball powders.
    (Hodgen or Winchester) They would take up a lot less room in the case.....more room for the crimp.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weigh your shot charge, if your using magnum shot and it weighs very much more than an ounce your throwing too much shot. Take some shot out, and see how it crimps.I use 1 1/8 oz wads, but the load weighs barely over an oz with magnum shot. The pellet count is the same, it's just lighter.