In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

balance scale vs. electronic: pros & cons

What are the pros and cons between a balance scale (example: RCBS 10-10) and a smaller electronic scale that has the same accuracy specs (i.e., +/- .1 grain). The 10-10 costs well over $100 and I've seen smaller electronic ones for $50 (Frankford Arsenal) that have the capacity I need. Seems like one advantage of the electronic over balancing is that you don't need to position the electronic one at eye level, which is how I can best see a balancing scale.

Other thoughts on pros and cons?

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speed is the big advantage of the electronic scales to me.
    Both are accurate.

CP
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I guess I am one of a very few that have never had any trouble with either my balance beam scale or my electronic scale I purchased an Ohause 10-10- some 40 + years ago it has been trouble free however it is slow I also bought a PACT electronic when they first came our . I have a set of weights so I can check both units and also use one to check against the other. The 10-10 has a case/cover and I keep the pack in a Plastic box used to store computer Chips when not in use. I love the pact and it has never failed me it agrees with the balance beam scale but many times faster. Like any tool how you treat it will dictate how long it will last and how good it will work.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up with balance beam, so balanced beams are my prefered choice. I have an ancient Bonanza scale and a RCBS that have never given me problems.
    Having served in the military, I have seen problems with the digital scales. Some of the problems were internal/electrical and some were operator error involving forgetting the tare weight and battery issues.
    I have a habit of checking the accuracy of my scales frequently with a calibration weight set.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I could give a response to this subject but it would be the same as perry shooter's.
    So, - just read his again.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One undeniable truth about a digital scale: you cannot get a weight in the wrong notch and be off by a grain - or TEN!.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    101stguy101stguy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion; electronic scales are great, and they speed things up. However, in reality all your handloader that hunts, plinks, etc... needs is a balance beam scale for setting up your powder measure. this way you can weigh occassional loads if it makes you feel better, but truth be told a simple RCBS uniflow will throw a close enough load every time that unless your a Camp Perry shooter you won't be affected in the least bit! [:D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have an RCBS 1500 loadmaster,
    I love it but I still rely
    heavily on my 505 to double
    check frequently of course
    I can't do a zillion reloads
    an hour but I reload for fun
    and it's theraputic
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    My 1010 doesn't have jitter error, nor does it need a Battery/Converter. I can interpolate for really fine control.

My electronic scale is not susceptible to rust or dirt at the pivot, because it doesn't have one.

I spill less often with the Beam Scale.

I use the beam most.
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    I have recently got a Lyman 1200DPS3.Very fast and accurate.But I still do have a RCBS beam scale as well.