In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

under loads

rhino43rhino43 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
I have a friend that loaded some loads for 25-06 using imr 4831, but he just put 44 grs in them it was only three. I said pull them but he say he will use them as warm up loads. Who is right and will it hurt anything by shooting them, under power and don't know, oh he will be shooting out a ruger

Comments

• Options
    clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience has taught me that if its not loaded properly then to start over. I (by mistake) have shorted the powder on a .357 before and the bullet got lodged in the barrel. Since I understood what the odd sound meant I checked after the shot. Had it been someone else who had found the rounds and was not as knowledgeable; it could have been a disaster. Its just not worth the risk to me.

Brad
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    117 grain and 120 grain bullets he is probably ok. Anything lighter should and your talking 7-9 grains less then what Hodgdon's starting loads are. Under pressure loads can blow up a gun just as easy as high pressure loads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull them down and do it right. Slow powders and severe underloading is a NO-NO.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Reduced charges are fine with some powders, not with others.

4895 for instance can be reduced by up to about 30 percent with no issue.

Generally the slower you get the less tolerant of reduction the load will be.

The exception would be if you used a ballistic case filler. If you keep the powder column vertical (or horizontal after chambered) and held to the primer, risk of a secondary explosion effect will be removed and you can reduce away, within reason.

However fillers bring up a whole other ball of wax. Some of them can act as plugs and aren't suitable for the reloading newbie.

I'd say, stick to published loads if at all available.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rhino43,

I agree, if you don't know it's right then start over. However, he may be at the minimum for the heavier bullet weights. Which isn't a problem. That is the key here. Knowing the bullet weights. Just like using a low bullet weight load for a heavy bullet. You don't fire it if you think it's going to blow up.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by bpost1958
    Pull them down and do it right. Slow powders and severe underloading is a NO-NO.
    [Agree Bpost, if you get a bullet stuck in the barrel, it's a beetch to get it out. Worse, would be the second shot not knowing there was a stuck bullet.
  • Options
    scaliwag007scaliwag007 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the bullets and start over.....underloads have blown up barrels!