In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

loading 257 Roberts

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
How big of difference does it make if the rifle is a short action or long action. I like the idea of a new Remington in that caliber but it is a short action.

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may handicap you a little with heavy bullets especially if it has a really long leade and you want to get them as close to the rifling as possible. (magazine length)
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the new higher performance powders, there is less concern over bullet intrusion. Bigger concern is magazine length compared to throat length. Short mag/long throat may cost accuracy potential. Various manuals may give data for the standard OAL and some may show loads loaded longer. I have a .257 on a Mauser 98 action with a standard throat so the mag will handle rounds loaded to the proper length for the throat. I don't hotrod the .257 loading it just above .243 Win levels and if I need more, I go to the 25/06 or .257 Wby.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

If the rifle is a short action then you would need to seat the bullets down in the case a ways. This isn't completely detrimental to the .257 Roberts, but it isn't helpful either.

I like to at least seat longer bullets out to where the bottom of the bullet is no further into the case than the bottom of the shoulder. With some of the heavier/longer bullets and especially the Wildcat bullets this isn't conducive to easy single feeding in a short action. Let alone the fact they won't feed that way from a magazine.

The real indicator in this caliber is the length of the leade. That dictates exactly how far out you can seat your bullets. A long action with a short leade still means you would have to seat the bullets deep. You can follow the old addage, which is true to a certain extent, that shorter actions are stiffer therefore more accurate. To me, the .257 Roberts has heavy/long enough bullets that it needs a long action. I have short and long action and I definitely prefer the long action.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out a Ruger Hawkeye.
    Long action, beautiful rifle.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW: I have a Ruger 77 (long action) with a 22" barrel and an A-bolt (short action) with a 20" barrel. The A-bolt magazine box limits the cartridge length to 2.81". Still, with identical loads, the A-bolt is 75 fps faster and groups a bit better than the Ruger. The Ruger is a 1976 era rifle and rumor has it that Ruger was having quality issues with barrel suppliers back then. Like I said, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    FWIW: I have a Ruger 77 (long action) with a 22" barrel and an A-bolt (short action) with a 20" barrel. The A-bolt magazine box limits the cartridge length to 2.81". Still, with identical loads, the A-bolt is 75 fps faster and groups a bit better than the Ruger. The Ruger is a 1976 era rifle and rumor has it that Ruger was having quality issues with barrel suppliers back then. Like I said, for what it's worth.
    You mean like they were made out of 'rebar'?[:0]

I had a tang safety model 77 in 7mm that might hold 2" @ 50 yds. I swore I wouldn't own a Ruger again. In a fit of "I had to have one", I bought a .257 Roberts in the Ruger 77 Ultralite model. It wasn't really finicky but with the right load it would always hold 5 shots under an inch. It never shot over 2" with any load. I took nine deer an antelope and an elk with it. Now my daughter has it. She and her new husband plan on taking it deer hunting this year, for their first hunt together. My short action is a Rem 722, with believe it or not a 1-10" twist. It will stabilize heavy bullets great but really does best with the standard .257 load we used out in NV and that is 41 gr. of 4895 behind a 87 gr. bullet. It's not max so any brand of 4895(AA2495) will do.

Edit:
    FWIW, I would recommend the Ruger Hawkeye, and if you find one the MKII. I understand it was the MK1's (tang safety) that had barrel quality issues.

My best though is the Custom '98 I'm finishing up the new stock for. I had it in a solid synthetic stock and it would put five 115 Berger VLDs touching consistently. Five in a 1.025 group @ 300. It's got a light varmint barrel that was throated to take longer bullets seated out a bit. I hope it shoots as good as it did in the synthetic stock once I get it into the new wood stock all finished and bedded. Whether it does or doesn't, it'll sure look nice once it's finished.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its nice to see so much talk on the 257R, most assume it's faded into history with the 243 and 260 coming along. Still one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Although I keep looking at the 260's a lot, just have 3 kids to feed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

Laugh if you will but that's how I fed them. It was cheaper, when I lived in Montana, to fill everyones tags than to buy meat by the 1/2 or 1/4. Tough times, but the rifle helped feed the kids.
  • Options
    poleokpoleok Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a tang safety long action .257 Roberts and it shoots 1 hole all day and 5 shots under a dime at 200. I've killed over 50 deer and 4 elk with it and I can't even begin to count the coyotes and chucks, at ranges from 50 to 500 yds. It's fired between 4 and 5000 rounds and still like new. I shoot a 90 gr. bthp game king in front of 4064 at just under 3300 fps. I've owned just about every brand and alot of calibers and always end up selling them and comeing back, I'll end up dead and still owning it, then my son can TRY and shoot it out, he's been trying to get it for the last 14 years. Sorry if this steps on any toes but one should not speak without knowing ALL the facts..........
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    poleok: I guess ALL the facts are: We have the same make/model rifle. Yours is a great shooter. Mine--not so much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To quote an old friend of mine,

"This may, or may not, be true."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    To quote an old friend of mine,

"This may, or may not, be true."

I agree.

Since, I made the rebar comment I'll take it as I don't know how to shoot my rifles into one hole 'all day long'. I've got a few target rifles that will come pretty close. But, not 'all day long.' I'd be a champion shooter for sure if I could do that.

FWIW, I've seen some Ruger rifles, the heavy barreled target ones, shoot one hole. Not every one of them, though. But, I haven't seen any of the standard hunting rifles do that. IMO they do what they were intended to do and that is provide hunting accuracy in one of the most reliable actions out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK all day long was a day of shooting several and comeing back to it for 50 shots and I won the coffee shoot with a 1/2" 50 shot group. I've done some work to it but it's still stock {trigger,set at 20oz., barrel,action) it's just been full floated and glass piller bedded.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For that, I hope you got more than coffee.
    Load? Range?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry it took so long to answer, I've been out of town. My load is 44.9gr. IMR4064 90gr. Sierra HPBT Game King at 100 yds. loaded to touch the lands. I love this gun. Anyone useing this load back up about 5 or 6 gr. first as it's "Warm".