In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bullet molds

who makes good one and who makes ones to stay away from? ill be loading for 40 s&w to start mabye mving to other calivers as time goes on.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends.

The very best I find are brass molds made by CBE in Australia. Pricey but excellant.

RCBS and Lyman are standards.

Saeco, Rapine, NEI, all are fine.

Then there is Lee.

I really like Lee molds. They're cheap. They produce a good quality bullet. They do not, however, have the fit and finish of the more expensive models. Sometimes you have to do a final polishing of the chambers to get easy bullet release. (Takes about 1 minute with an already cast bullet, an electric drill, and a screw) Sometimes you need to install a set screw to hold the sprue cutter bolt in place.

However the bullet itself is generally as good as their more expensive competitors.

To me it's all about value. If I can get a mold for $20 that I might have to prep for 5 minutes but otherwise works as well as one that costs $85 but is ready out of the box, that's a good value to me.

Any new mold should be thoroughly degreased.

Lee molds come with handles; their competitors' do not- you have to pay extra.

One more plus for Lee molds- they are aluminum and won't rust, so don't need to be oiled and degreased after every use. A minus goes along with that though- aluminum heats and cools faster than iron and so you have to run your melt a bit hotter to get good fill out than with most iron molds.

In balance, Lee is my overall favorite for value, CBE for absolute quality, and Lyman for a middle of the road standard.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The older maker HENSLEY & GIBBS made IMHO the best quality mould blocks ever made . I don't know if they ever made a 40 caliber one. It depends on what the bullets will be used for if serious Target Shooting then get the best quality you can find if just for plinking get the Lee.
  • Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a very good forum on the web for cast bullets. Here is the link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I have to cast my vote for H&G (Hensley & Gibbs) bullet moulds. Most of my 4 cavity moulds are H&G. Most of my 2 cavity moulds are RCBS or Lyman. I can't really explain why, that's just the way it worked out for me.

If you really get into casting and would like to shoot something that isn't offered on the current market, meaning designing your own bullet configuration and bullet weight, there is a company that lets you do just that. You can design it online and the company will build it for you. Here's the link:

http://www.mountainmolds.com/
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The Lee 6 cavity molds are excellent, especially when you consider the cost. I have fired 10's of thousands of their 401-175-TC bullet, it is a very nice bullet. All were cast with the same mold, which still has lots of life in it. 1000+ bullets an hour is doable if you run 2 molds at a time.

Lyman molds are OK, RCBS molds are too heavy and wear me out quickly.

H&G was out of business before the 10mm and 40 came out.

Quality bullets are more about the caster than the mold. With proper lube, size, temperature control, and alloy, the Lees will shoot as well as any. Out of my Para's, 4" groups at 50 yards are no trouble(not taking any extraordinary measures casting or loading).
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure H&G made .40 cal. molds. Don't forget that the .41 Colt and the .38-40 are both .40 caliber.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I'm sure H&G made .40 cal. molds. Don't forget that the .41 Colt and the .38-40 are both .40 caliber.

the 41 colt was a heeled bullet not suitable for any modern cartridge.

H&G did make their #6 mould for 38-40( 180 rn fp with a crimp groove), But I have never seen one outside their catalogs. It is a moot point anyway, if one came up for sale it would likely garner 5 times the cost of any modern molds which would be better suited.