In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help me identify this bullet

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, so a friend of mine purchased some reloading supplies from an old guy on {elsewhere} who was getting out of the hobby. The supplies then sat in my friend's basement for about a year before he realized he didn't have time for them and gave them to me.

Among the supplies was a large ziplock bag containing 440 of the following bullets:

bullet.jpg

Description: SJHP
Diameter: .357
Length: .665
Weight: 158 grains

The bag was unmarked so I have no idea who the manufacture is. I'd like to reload them, but I'd like to know what they are first.

Can any of your veteran reloaders out there identify these? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry for the poor pic quality.

Comments

• Options
    cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As near as I can tell, looks like Winchester brand ,but you already have enough information to reload them size, weight -Best Dave Have these at home and measured one getting .670 in length- I was buying these from Midwy in bulk for about 37$ for 500 MAYBE 2 years ago now their 75$ for 500 and out of stock. GREAT SCORE [:p]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They aren't Remmies, or the jacket would be scalloped. Beyond that, they could be Winchester bulk, Hornady or Sierra.

With some bullets, having the exact manufacturer's load data is crucial. But not with these. There isn't a dime's worth of difference among the published loads for a 158 JHP. Pick one and load in confidence.

I get right at 1200 from a ported 3" Security Six with similar bullets using 13.0 of Accurate #9 or 15.0 H4227 or 16.0 W296/H110 or 13.0 2400. I use standard primers in all but the 296/110 or 4227. My 4 5/8 Blackhawk gives me 100-150 fps more. All those in .357 Mag brass, of course.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    They aren't Remmies, or the jacket would be scalloped. Beyond that, they could be Winchester bulk, Hornady or Sierra.

With some bullets, having the exact manufacturer's load data is crucial. But not with these. There isn't a dime's worth of difference among the published loads for a 158 JHP. Pick one and load in confidence.

I get right at 1200 from a ported 3" Security Six with similar bullets using 13.0 of Accurate #9 or 15.0 H4227 or 16.0 W296/H110 or 13.0 2400. I use standard primers in all but the 296/110 or 4227. My 4 5/8 Blackhawk gives me 100-150 fps more. All those in .357 Mag brass, of course.
    Look like winchester to me also and I agree a 158gr JHP in .357, I use the same load for all brand bullets when reloading for .357mag....or 38spl for that matter. my 2 cents