In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reduced loads for 41 mag.

GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody here have any good reduced loads for the 41 mag . Trail boss?

Comments

• Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope other folks post some of their favorite loads. Because I would like to see them also. I like to shoot my 41 Smith & Wesson Model 657 a lot, so I use light target loads. My favorite is my 215 grain LSWC bullet with 5.5 grains of WW 231. My medium load is the same 215 grain LSWC with 8.5 grains of Unique. Someday, I'll pay to have a mould built around 175 to 185 grain full wadcutter design.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my target loads in .41 mag I use Hodgdon Titegroup. Titegroup is cheaper, and it is not position sensitive which is really nice for the big cases. For my target loads I use a 215g Lead SWC with a Win Large pistol standard primer and 5.5 grains of Titegroup. It runs just over 900 fps and is accurate.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reduced loads in a magnum case will work, but are usually pretty inconsistent. Large velocity spreads and inaccuracy are the usual complaints. Reducing case volume does miraculous things, as any shooter of the 38 or 44 Special can tell you - both are wonderfully accurate rounds.

The answer, obviously, is the 41 Special. My full article is here: http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/41 Special.htm
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it Rocky ! I'm going to give it a try. The reason I wanted to order a custom bullet mould in a full wadcutter design was for the same reasons, to reduce the big case capacity. I figured by seating a wadcutter all the way down, I could reduce that interal capacity. Your way is cheaper.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Before you trim too many cases, try one in your seater die to see if you can crimp. Many 41 Magnum dies are simply too deep to let the Special case reach the crimp shoulder.

I had to have a machine shop turn 1/8" off my seater and re-chamfer the inner edge. The guy did it in his lathe so quick he didn't even charge me! Some other dies don't have that problem, I'm told.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why Titegroup works well. Because it is not position sensitive. I have had good consistency in .41 mag, 44 mag & 45 Colt with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's part of it, certainly. But not all. There's a definite effect caused by volume alone. It might be difficult to believe, but many handgun cartridges burn all the powder present before the bullet leaves the case. Some burn it all before the bullet even moves. We know that by observing when the pressure peak occurs, and in many, it happens while the bullet is still in the cartridge case. (Pressure peak signals the end of effective burning.)

Too much volume means less efficient ignition, more variability in the pressure curve, and therefore on total performance. In general, the smaller the charge weight and the larger the cartridge case, the more pronounced the effect.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about using a lee factory crimp to crimp instead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it's designed for the 41 Mag, it's probably not going to work on the shorter case. Just get a Hornady die set. I'm told they work on the Special without modification.