In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

case lube question

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
I posted this in the general discussions forum as well:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=417842

Ok, I am reloading straight case pistol rounds (45 ACP and 44 MAG/SPL). I have Tungsten Carbide dies. On RCBS's website, in the step by step guide, it says to lube the cases before sizing them. Then it says that this step can be skipped for straight walled cases if using the TC dies.

So my question, if I skip this step, when do I lube the cases?

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    I posted this in the general discussions forum as well:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=417842

Ok, I am reloading straight case pistol rounds (45 ACP and 44 MAG/SPL). I have Tungsten Carbide dies. On RCBS's website, in the step by step guide, it says to lube the cases before sizing them. Then it says that this step can be skipped for straight walled cases if using the TC dies.

So my question, if I skip this step, when do I lube the cases?

If you use carbide sizing dies, you don't need to use lube.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As pointed out in GD, if your cases are CLEAN and the Sizing Die is Carbide, you don't need lube.

Dirt will ruin a Tungsten Carbide die is the blink of an eye.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Thanks for responding. I saw your answers in the GD forum. Per iceracerx's suggestion, I figured I would put it over here as well.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call
    While not "needed", a little lube will still make things go smoother.
    I like to just wipe my index finger on some Hornady "Unique" or ISDW case lube, and than rub it into my thumb and middle finger from there (just enough to put a little sheen on 3 fingertips). Simply handling the cases now, will transfer all the lube you need to really smooth out the sizing operation.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What tailgunner said. Just the faintest echo of a whisper of Imperial on your fingers will have those cases practically sizing themselves. A carbide die is slick, but a carbide die used with Imperial is slicker than owl snot in a bathtub.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree you don't need lube.
    I disagree that dirt will hurt your TC die.
    The only thing that will happen with dirty brass is that the particles will get embedded in your brass, which is bad for your chamber.
    This has been discussed here many times.

I am * about my brass though.
    It gets cleaned three times before it is put in my chamber.

CP
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    To answer the second part of your question.
    You lube bottle neck rifle brass and some tapered ones like 30 carbine, even with carbide dies.