In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
I was shooting a pre-WW2 Mauser sporting rifle this weekend. A real jem in my collection. Handloads.

Bang bang bang click.

Hmm.

No powder.

Fortunately it didn't unseat the bullet as sometimes happens.

Ok next case. Click. Same thing. This time it DID unseat the bullet and I had to hammer it out of the barrel.

SO I get to checking. Out of 30 rounds loaded, 8 of them had no powder.

I loaded all of these the night before on a single stage press. No double charges, there isn't enough room in the case for that. AND the 8 duds were all in a row.

So apparently I charged and loaded 22 rounds, then got to the last 8 and seated the bullet without charging them.

No distractions going, I just did this. A first for me. I've maybe missed charging ONE case on occasion, but never a whole string of them.

Moral- be careful when reloading! If I had been paying as poor attention while shooting as I apparently did loading, it could have lead to a lodged bullet and a follow up shot with powder and a destroyed gun and maybe hurt me. In practice this wouldn't have happened... this time... as all the remaining shots were duds. But still scary!

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did that before...way back in the late 70's. I didn't fire a round behind the one plugged in the barrel but in hammering it out it got peened in. The simple solution at that point was to change barrels.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another honest Abe. You did the right thing by investigating before firing again. I have had duds before, especially in 22 rimfire. Several times I beat bullets out with a brass rod and a hammer.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens, as we all age brain-farts get more common, I know this from first hand experience. [:0][B)] The way to avoid brain-farts from hurting is to ALWAYS check the cases for powder as the last step before seating the bullets.

A light angled just right, from behind your shoulder or over the bench, shining down in the case mouth lets your Mk.1 Mod.1 eyeball confirm the case has quantity one (1) powder as required for proper bang noises when the trigger is pulled.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best solution I had was to reload with a friend, cigars and Beam. Our system was for him to scoop the powder and me move the funnel. During seating one would swap cases and the other would place the bullet and operate the press. Just had to be careful where we flicked the cigar ash.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If I messed up stone cold sober and not smoking, I shudder to think what I might do boozed off my rear and smoking a cigar. Burn down the house I'm sure. [;)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    It happens, as we all age brain-farts get more common, I know this from first hand experience. [:0][B)] The way to avoid brain-farts from hurting is to ALWAYS check the cases for powder as the last step before seating the bullets.

A light angled just right, from behind your shoulder or over the bench, shining down in the case mouth lets your Mk.1 Mod.1 eyeball confirm the case has quantity one (1) powder as required for proper bang noises when the trigger is pulled.

I prefer the ol' mk 1 mod 0's (no glasses) in conjunction with brand new LED technology. In which I almost don't have to worry about what angle the LED shines, it lights up the inside of those cases!

Unfortunately, I found that imbibing an excess of beer (good local pure brewed) leads me to sometimes not conduct the aforementioned inspection. Thereby having that embarrassing bang, bang, "click" moment on the range. I found it's better to enjoy the beer after reloading
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My trays ALWAYS get a visual look over before I move on to the seating of the bullet.