In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 7mm wsm

wsm 325wsm 325 Member Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
anyone do this? i am trying to find a load. i have it down to 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards. any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was an article in the March 2009 issue of Guns & Ammo (gunsandammomag.com)about reloading the .270 WSM. As I am sure you know, it is the same case as the 7mm WSM, so the data may be somewhat relevant for you. The rifle was a Browning A-Bolt, with a 23 inch barrel.

If you go to the above website, under "AMMO", and then "Reloading", and use "270 WSM" as your search term, you can read the results. One interesting discovery the author noted was that accuracy improved when he backed the bullet off the lands to .03 inch to .05 inches. The article includes a number of powders, bullet weights, and different bullet designs.

The article notes that at least one load gave around a 1/2 inch group with 130 grain Nosler Partitions and 71 grains of Reloder 25.

Let us know if you can find the article OK.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wsm 325,

"any suggestions?"

Trying to use an accuracy load from a rifle other than your own is difficult since the loads don't behave the same way in different rifles.

Use quality components, work up a test program such as the ladder test and eliminate as many variables as possible. Use a good rest and a quality scope in solid rings and mount.

I am using the 7mm WSM in some of my competition rifles but I'm seating the bullets off from the lands. I'm also using full case or slightly compressed loads.

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of tested loads:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/7mmwsm.htm

Nosler has a good list aslo:

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=7mm

Select the cartridge and bullet weight from the menus on the left.

Best.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry if this is hijacking your thread but your "handle" of wsm 325 and your working with a wsm cartridge was too much to resist. I recently acquired a NIB A-bolt in your "handle" chambering of .325 WSM. One of the handloads I tried was with a 195 gr. Hornady spire and IMR4831. The bullet traveled over my chronograph screens at 2960 fps and the second 5-shot group I fired consisted of one ragged hole. Outside edge to outside edge measured .67 which would translate to .35 center to center. This load produces almost 3800 ft/lbs. of energy @ 10 ft from the muzzle--this would make a great elk rifle. I don't think your 1 1/4" groups are anything to apologize for but if you keep experimenting you may find a load that your rifle likes even better.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I answered on the general discussion forum thread