In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crazy mistake

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭
Not to long ago, I done a trade and ended up with a S&W Mdl 500. I had to wait to get the dies and powder to start reloading for my new toy. The dies came a month ago and I finally was able to get the powder I wanted to use last week.

Sat down and primed about 20 rounds with a Lee autoprime as I do not need much to shoot when developing/testing loads. Since I was using new brass, I did not have to size the brass as the empties fit perfectly in my hand cannon. Then I set the die to bell the case without problems. I meticulously loaded my charges at the minimum grains for my bullets with intent to work my load upward not to exceed max.

Did the usual when setting my seating die; ran the die down to where it touched the shellholder and backed off the seater. I placed a bullet in the belled case and slowly ran it upward. While running the die upward, I noticed resistance typical of the crimping process and retracted the ram. Then I noticed a problem; there was about 1/2 inches of brass showing and the ram was not fully up. I retracted the ram and noticed the case had just barely started to crimp the base of the bullet. I then removed the seating die, and dissasembled it to make sure there was no problems and found no problems.

Repeated the process again, and still met resistance. Determined to find out what was wrong, I dumped the powder, removed the bullet, and ran the empty case up to the bottom of the die. When I retracted the case, I noticed my brass had a slight bottleneck for the first 3/8 inch. I removed the sizing die and close examination and found myself reading the problem; the die had 500S&W Spl stamped on it, not 500 S&W Mag.

I have been reloading for many years and never screwed up like this before. Thought I would add this post to make the poster who admittedly killed his crony last week feel a little better.[B)] Will be taking the dies back and getting the correct set.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all made some sort of screw up, just who's willing to admit it.

I have to ask, all my seating dies are caliber specific not cartridge specific. I set die with ram up with empty case, thread die until it makes contact and back of slightly. I then use a slight taper crimp on my pistol rounds. I assume you're using Lee dies as you don't say. Are they similar to competition dies from Redding that supports the case while seating plus a crimp if desired?
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Your mistake doen't sound as bad as some others of us have made!!
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why can't you use the Special dies to load the longer Magnum cases? like we do with .38 Special/.357 magnum & .44 special/.44 magnum? Just do not screw the die into the press as far for the magnum. I have made spacers for my special dies when loading the longer magnum cases. This way, I never have to readjust the dies[;)] Eddie
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought I would add this post to make the poster who admittedly killed his crony last week feel a little better.

I really do appreciate the gesture, and I do sympathize with you, but I don't think anything can take the sting out of what I did to my Chrony. Thanks for trying though.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure glad your "WT(H)(F)>(W)" instinct kicked in and you investigated. Before there was an accident! Glad you're here to post that is what I'm saying. I've made many mistakes. Most were ignorance of the facts already out there and some were me thinking I'd done enough figuring when the facts weren't out there. Glad I decided to back off two more grains....

Bubba Jr. As we've said before, the hurt of screwing up stings...but in yours, mine and chiefr's cases...at least the sting wasn't physical. I've seen some bad ones and you don't want them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyfish
    We all made some sort of screw up, just who's willing to admit it.

I have to ask, all my seating dies are caliber specific not cartridge specific. I set die with ram up with empty case, thread die until it makes contact and back of slightly. I then use a slight taper crimp on my pistol rounds. I assume you're using Lee dies as you don't say. Are they similar to competition dies from Redding that supports the case while seating plus a crimp if desired?

I was using RCBS dies. I also need to mention I am using cast bullets. The way I have always initially set my seating die is to raise the ram & screw the die until it almost touches the shell holder without using a case. Then I insert a case, place a bullet in the case mouth, screw the seating plug down untill it firmly touches the top of the bullet. Then I lower the ram and measure how much further the bullet needs to go down into the case and turn the seater in to match my measurement. This gets me almost always real close to where I want to be with seating depth, but may require a tweak here & there. The next thing I work on is the crimp. Once the correct dept is obtained, I adjust the die by turning it down further as much as 3/4 turn for a good strong crimp. I will have to back out the seater slightly to match. I always use a heavy crimp on all my magnums.
    I have never taper crimped cast bullets before. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I do taper crimp hardball especially if there is no cannelure on the bullet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Why can't you use the Special dies to load the longer Magnum cases? like we do with .38 Special/.357 magnum & .44 special/.44 magnum? Just do not screw the die into the press as far for the magnum. I have made spacers for my special dies when loading the longer magnum cases. This way, I never have to readjust the dies[;)] Eddie

I thought of that, but the 500 Mag case is a full 1/2 inch longer than the 500 spl. I used to interchange 357/38 and 44spl/mag all the time until I got my Dillon 550. When I got the 550, I broke down and bought the other dies. I should have the correct dies Monday. I am loading my 500s with a RCBS Rockchucker. I was thinking also about getting some 500 spl brass to load up some reduced loads. Thanks for the thought.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Thought I would add this post to make the poster who admittedly killed his crony last week feel a little better.

I really do appreciate the gesture, and I do sympathize with you, but I don't think anything can take the sting out of what I did to my Chrony. Thanks for trying though.[:)][:)]

I bought a crony not to long ago and happy to report it is alive and well. BTW, I am knocking on wood as I type this.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too, shot my first Chrony. Do not shoot off-hand when chronographing loads. Just nicked the case but still messed up the electronics, got a new one now I have some spare parts.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When adjusting the seat/crimp die, I usually do it a little differently than you. This is how I do it on a single stage press.

I put an empty case in the shell holder and pull the handle to raise the ram. Only then do I screw the die down until I feel firm resistance. I then screw down the lock ring. I then charge a case and raise the ram again. Then I seat a bullet adjusting the seating stem down to the depth I want.

Then I seat all my bullets without crimping.

Then I back off the seating stem and adjust my die down till I get the crimp I want. Then I go and crimp all the rounds just using the die to crimp.

It adds a step to the process but I am happier with the result and know that the seating stem is not trying to seat the bullet the same time the die is trying to crimp the case.