In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 Sherwood brass??

This has nothing to do with Robin Hood...but I just got an old single shot chambered for the 300 Sherwood. Its can't be very powerful. Chamber looks straight walled about I would guess 30 cal...probably black powder but the barrel inside looks good. Ideas on where to get info...bullets...cases....load info.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds very much like a British "rook" rifle. Shooting rooks (similar to crows) was a popular pasttime years ago, and many cartridges were developed for that sport alone.

Here's an old thread: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=300244

There are many Google hits, as well.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

The 300 Sherwood was introduced in 1901 by Westley Richards, to compete against the 310 Greener Cartridge. It was primarily use for small game hunting, with a 140 grain projectile moving at 1,400 feet per second, generating 610 foot pounds of energy it is equal to a 357 Magnum.

300sherwoodwestleyricha.jpg

300 Sherwood
    cartridge
    by Kynoch
    of England.
    140 Grain Lead
    projectile.

Cases available through:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,102.htm

Best.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Followup. My cherished copy of Ken Howell's Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges shows two very similar drawings for the 300 Sherwood, the difference being a slight variation in rim width. The case is straight-sided at .320" in diameter, 1.550" long. There is apparently no other suitable case from which to form them. Also, it apparently uses a bullet a true .300" in diameter, not .308".
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.