In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading for a 30-30

1chig1chig Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
getting ready to load some 30-30 ammo.Do i need to crimp or not? I have heard either way.I have never loaded any and just dont know. I load for my other rifles and i dont crimp but they are bolt. Just wandering..

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1chig
    getting ready to load some 30-30 ammo.Do i need to crimp or not? I have heard either way.I have never loaded any and just dont know. I load for my other rifles and i dont crimp but they are bolt. Just wandering..

Yes, crimp them.

FWIW, Lee manufactures a factory crimp die which produces excellent results.[;)]
  • Options
    puperoni64puperoni64 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1chig

Crimping is Mandatory on the 30-30 rounds. You can use the crimp on the RCBS seating die, but the Lee Factory Crimp die does a much better job and is easier to crimp with. And relatively inexpensive too.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Crimping is Mandatory on the 30-30 rounds.".........if used in a lever action w/tube magazine. bolt guns, single shots and the savage m-99 it is optional.
  • Options
    1chig1chig Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input guys
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neck on the 30-30 case is long and thin. If all cases are not the same length, the little extra force created by comming upon a few .000" too long case has a tendency to create a small buckle in the neck which will not let it chamber. If you set the crimp die for a long case you might not get an adequate crimp for one just a little shorter. This is where the Lee die is a plus by converting the downward force in to a lateral force through the collett that is very forgiving on that little extra length.