In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.356 vs .357

PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
I cast my own 125gr .356 bullets for my 9MM, would these work for 38 special (.357) is .001 that much difference that would cause problems? They would be just for plinking.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, a cast bullet must be at least groove diameter or a bit larger (.001 to .002"). Any smaller and you generally get horrible leading in the barrel.

Your bullets are .356" because a nominal 9mm bore is .355". In a 38/357 the usual cast bullet diameter is .358".
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I aquired a S###load of Rainier 9mm bullets (5000) about 7 years ago and not having a 9mm at the time shot them all out of a blackhawk .357. They went bang and all was well. Actually they shot pretty good for the price, free.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Not enough lead to engage the rifling and spin the bullet...it will probably lead to pretty bad lead fouling.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Changing alloy mix alters the diameter of a cast "lead" bullet[;)]. By doing this you can increase or decrease a few thousands of an inch depending on the original diameter. Larger diameter bullets will have more spread. Step one for me would be to load up some rounds & try them. I use the Lee 9MM tumble lube bullet in my Revolvers. I've never had a problem. Eddie - Blue collar worker,[;)] retired[:D]
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    I aquired a S###load of Rainier 9mm bullets (5000) about 7 years ago and not having a 9mm at the time shot them all out of a blackhawk .357. They went bang and all was well. Actually they shot pretty good for the price, free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Rainier bullets jacketed? I didn't know they made a cast bullet.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not jacketed in the true sense but only plated.The real point i was making was that they were .356. Ruger made a 357/9mm convertible blackhawk at one time.
    http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=147217761
  • Options
    smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot .356" and .357" lead bullets through different .38spl with out any leading issues as long as I didn't push'em to fast. I had some .357" DEWC, cast from straight wheel weights, I shot through my S&W mdl 52 with out leading and they were accurate.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know that about Rainier, thanks for the scoop.
    GH1[:)]