In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

small base dies

Have only reloaded for bolt actions in the past, but may start doing some 284 in a winchester 100 semi auto. What are your thoughts on using small base dies. Are they needed or just stick with the regular full length sizing dies?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i got yet another case stuck in my rcbs dies tonight. this time managed to get through about 25 cases befor one got stuck. these were lubed with the roll pad again and a q-tip with the spray lube stuck down the neck. im reloading these to shoot in a bushmaster xm15. are small based dies required for loading in all semi auto rifles? could using small base dies be the reason for all the trouble im having? i just tried calling rcbs as i didnt see a email on their website and there closed till monday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been loading .223 using rcbs small base dies for an auto loader. Is this necessary? Its a lot more trouble and I get some stuck cases even though I lube them up pretty good. Would a set of Lee standard .223 dies work just as well? Any info is appreciated.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joshmb1982; You have stuck more cases this week than I have in 35 years of reloading. Get some Imperial Sizing wax or Hornaday Unique lube, (same stuff) and see what happens. Toss that spray lube magic in a can in the trash. You will very seldom find serious reloaders using spray lubes. Unique or Imperial will not allow cases to stick. I get some on the fingers of my left hand and put it on the palm of my right hand. rolling 6-10 cases in between my hands applies plenty of lube. Every 5th case gets a tiny, smear of lube inside the neck to ease it over the expander ball. I size 30-06 cases down to 8MM Mauser in one pass. It opens the neck up from 308 to 323 with no problems. The 30-06 shoulder is shoved back about 3/8th of an inch with never a problem or stuck case.

The cases sound like they are a possible problem. I have the three jaw collet on my RCBS A200 press. It, on rare occasions, will pull the rim off of a case, like once in 5,000 cases, it is ALWAYS my fault for too little lube. Are all the stuck cases the same lot or brand? Could they have been shot in a machine-gun?

Small based dies are NOT necessary unless you have some bolt closing issues. I used them in my AR-15 but all in all good ammo fed fine without being ran through a small based die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    all brass so far came from brand new prvi partizan ammo i fired out of my bushmaster. i now have a 1000 cases of once fired lake city brass that im going to attampt tomarrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you have to lube every case by hand like that, how is it people load using the progressive presses where spent cases are thrown into a hopper lined up automatically and sent down a tube where as the plate turns there put in place to be resized/decapped and on their way to loaded?
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    if you have to lube every case by hand like that, how is it people load using the progressive presses where spent cases are thrown into a hopper lined up automatically and sent down a tube where as the plate turns there put in place to be resized/decapped and on their way to loaded?

Carbide sizers used with pistol calibers are not lubed, or not lube as much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea that much i knew. ive decapped/resized around 400 40 S&W cases without a hitch, around 100 308 and 10030/06. the 223 is killing me. so far today though i have managed to run about 200 through the die without a hitch. so far. im roling them on and rcbs pad with rcbs lube and i took a q-tip and put a bit of the lube on it and every 10th case or so i lube the inside of the throat with it. so far so good.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Bottle neck rifle cases need to be lubed, carbide sizer or not. I loaded 100's of thousands of rounds on a Dillon 1000. We used Lanolin on a towel, spreading 200 or so cases on it and rolling them around by hand. There was a very small amount of lube applied to each case. I would grab handfuls of lubed cases and use a q-tip to get some lube in the mouth of them. That handful got mixed into the batch in the case feeder, it left enough lube on the expander ball to function in the dies smoothly.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josh, you need the Dillon lube I use.That is how I run 30-06 thru my Dillon 650 with no problems.I have a spare bottle, I'll catch up with you this weekend and give you one.
  • Options
    rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was having the same problem sticking .223 cases in a small base die. I learned that I had my die set wrong, after resetting my die I hardly have any more stuck cases. I use One shot lube and it seems to work great. I have had a harder time with the Privi brass though.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've not ever reloaded .223 so I can't comment on your specific problem, other than to say it HAS to be an issue with the lube or the dies or some really bad brass with very soft rims.

However, as for your question on progressive reloading with lubed cases, there are 2 possibilities here.

Either you do as bpost says and only get a little lube in the neck of the case- making sure NONE gets down into the case body to contaminate the lube (tricky) or you use a lube that dries. I like Lee's paste lube. You can dillute it with water or alcohol (dries faster) and it TRULY DRIES. Not only that it doesn't contaminate powder when dry.

So you dillute some lee lube, apply as you wish (for small batches I dunk each neck in the dilute lube, then stand upright and let it run down the sides, for large batches I deprime all my cases and just dunk them in a gallon container of this mix with a deep fryer basket)...and let dry. Overnight. Next day you pop them in your progressive and away you go.

Yes the resulting cases will need cleaning. Many feel tumbling loaded ammo is a no-no. I've never had issues with it. If you do a quick rub down with a rag with a few drops of alcohol on it will clean things right up.
  • Options
    rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joshmb
    I use a RCBS progressive press for .223, but I just have the sizer die in. You can really go through the brass this way. I then prime them with a small Lee press. After I prime them, I put in the seater die, and powder measure and go to town.
    I use all the sizing, priming,powder,and seater stations when I load pistol ammo. This seams to work out for me as far as using a progressive press
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All your troubles are wrapped up in the phrase "these were lubed with the roll pad again." Eight words. Fix it with four:

Imperial Sizing Die Wax.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jbw04jbw04 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a RCBS SB die to size thousands of 223 brass while using hornady one shot. I have never had a problem one with lake city, win, rem, wcc, fed, hornady, and probably others but, I have not done any of the privy brass.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have not used it yet, but I bought a lube die to use in my progressive press for .223 and .308 bulk ammo....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I have not used it yet, but I bought a lube die to use in my progressive press for .223 and .308 bulk ammo....

a lube die? it lubes the case automatically as it makes its way through the stages?
  • Options
    edited November -1

a lube die? it lubes the case automatically as it makes its way through the stages?

Supposedly...
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Eric - When you try this let us know how it works. What type lube do you have to use in this die?....Mark
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226

Eric - When you try this let us know how it works. What type lube do you have to use in this die?....Mark

I'm assuming something like the RCBS lube. I bought the die for mass production. I did not want to have to lube my cases individually.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    SEEMS MORE POST LIKE THIS COME IN THE WINTER SEASON ,
    i have used the old rcbs lube for anything that needed it and have not had a stuck case yet but it also is warmer here then were most of the stuck case post come from.

my .02

could be a cold thing [;)]
  • Options
    gw104gw104 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using a spray on lube,make sure you let it set a few minutes before you run it thru the die