In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Acceptable Runout

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
I currently reload 7 rifle rounds from .22 Hornet to 30=06. My dies are mostly Hornady and RCBS. I'm not a benchrester and most of my shooting is hunting and practice from field positions. I check the concentricity of my loads and am generally happy with a runout of .003" or less.
Last night I tried a set of Bonanza dies and was surprised to find runout that barely made the needle twitch. Something in the .001 range.
Don't plan to replace all of my dies, but I am tempted to get a set of Bonanza's for my favorite; a Ruger .257 Roberts.
Any comments on which dies have given you the best results?
Thanks,
Rob
p.s. I do want to stay with standard 7X14 dies.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Redding Competition Seater in 6BR reduced the run-out on my ammo to less than .001, consistently. Before using it the run out was between two and three thousandths.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading. I just looked in the glossary of my Barnes Reloading Manual and can't find the word "runout."

Will somebody please explain what this is?
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Runout is the amount of " out of alignment " the neck of the case ( or the loaded bullet ) is as compared to the axis of the case. Standard dies can slightly bend the neck as much as .005 runout. Benchrest or competition dies align the necks truer while resizing. A concentricity gage measures this runout. I have found most factory loads to have .002 to .004 runout. Fired brass in a good straight chamber should show .001 or less runout. I use straight line dies and an arbor press for neck sizing and usually have .001 or less runout. I neck turn all of my brass which helps align the neck in the die. Straight necks and straight bullets increase accuracy.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends what you are shooting. For bench rest shooters, absolutely, controlling runout is a must.

For your average hunting or military rifle, any of the main line dies will do just fine. Controlling runout to the 1/1000th of an inch is probably less imporant than having a good load tuned to your barrel, properly preparing cases, and perhaps segregating bullets/cases by weight. If you get .002 or .003 runout, I'd be fine with that. That extra little bit of precision in loading is useful, yes, but at average hunting ranges with the average hunting rifle or even shooting paper at 200 yards or less, any improvement will probably be pretty miniscule.

If you are so inclined to get some Bonanza dies, go for it, they are top notch. But unless you are already weighing your powder, neck turning brass, uniforming flasholes, segregating cases and bullets by weight, and using a good primer, I doubt you'll see any marked improvement.

The Lee factory crimp die supposedly reduces runout and I can see how that might be the case, if you are so inclined. It has other benefits as well.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore. [;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

I was going to say Wilson, until I read where you wanted to stay with 7/8'th's 14 TPI dies. The Wilson dies don't need a press though. They will probably give you the best run-out of any. Because they support the neck while the bullet is being pushed in. I use the Wilson's for my 6mm Rem and my 7x57.

For neck sizing I like the Redding dies. I like the Hornady seating dies for supporting the case but they don't really support the neck like the Wilson's do.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks callcameron for asking the question. I did not have a clue as to what Runout was and appreciate the details and link provided by everyone....Just learned me something new about reloading.....Thanks to all....Mark
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    RCrosby,

I was going to say Wilson, until I read where you wanted to stay with 7/8'th's 14 TPI dies. The Wilson dies don't need a press though. They will probably give you the best run-out of any. Because they support the neck while the bullet is being pushed in. I use the Wilson's for my 6mm Rem and my 7x57.

For neck sizing I like the Redding dies. I like the Hornady seating dies for supporting the case but they don't really support the neck like the Wilson's do.

Sandwarrior, Wilson dies require a whole different type of press which is an Arbor press.. This adds money to the loading bench (not that I am opposed)[:D]

I would go with Redding competition bushing dies if you have to have the threaded dies. If you really want to step it up, try Newlon Precision dies cut with your reamer.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    RCrosby,

Sandwarrior, Wilson dies require a whole different type of press which is an Arbor press.. This adds money to the loading bench (not that I am opposed)[:D]

I would go with Redding competition bushing dies if you have to have the threaded dies. If you really want to step it up, try Newlon Precision dies cut with your reamer.

Actually, the chamber die (inline seating) can be done with a soft hammer or mallet. Wilson even shows that in a video. $40 for the die (comes with base)
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    morning---do you guys measure run out
    along the entire case and the bullet as
    well or just the neck and bullet, and
    what kind of test fixture do you use.
    I would think to get an accurate
    value ,one would have to go thru
    some sort of test procedure with the case
    first
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I check runout on new brass first. Most show .002 to .003 runout. First reloads show about the same. I fireform and check again. If I shoot them in a high quality rifle (most of mine qualify), the runout will be .001 or less. After neck sizing in my Wilson straight line dies with mallet or arbor press, the runout remains .001 or less. I only check runout on case necks and bullets. A good straight chamber will reduce runout after fireforming. To optimize accuracy, the bullet must be lined up perfectly with the bore axis to start the trip down the barrel. I use a Sinclair concentricity gage.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I would get a set of Redding dies with a competition seating die. It is the best I have found of the commercially available dies, there are a few custom manufacturers who make blanks that you cut with a sizer reamer, they heat treat...and then use your finisher reamer to make the competition sleeve for the seater die...really very nice set up when done and about the least runout I have been able to get. But more time and expense.