In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speer Hot-Cor 7mm?

laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
I just bought a Rem 700 in 7mm-08 and as part of the deal the dealer gave me a box of Fed. ammo loaded with 150gr Speer Hot-Cor bullets. They shoot as good as I can or better!!! I tried to find the bullets to reload, and Speer only lists 120gr, 145gr, and 160gr in the Hot-Cor. Why do they not make the 150gr for reloading and they make it for factory ammo?[?]

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laylandad,

Federal still lists this bullet as a load in their 7mm-08 Power-Shok cartridge:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=47

But you rightly point out that Speer is not listing that bullet on their website.

I have been using the 145 grain Hot-Cor SP in one particular load for an older 7x57 FN Mauser with excellent accuracy and results. Try it, you might like it!

Best.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the 145 boattail , and Win. 760 powder . My Mod. 7 loves it and it kills deer like crazy , one shot ,done deal !
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer is revamping their product line, and most of the Hot Core bullets will be replaced with a different bullet. It has been known for a while that the hot-pour process can trap bubbles, making for unbalanced and inaccurate bullets.

I don't have many more details than that. Look for full product descriptions after the SHOT Show, in mid-January.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, tried the 145's and it was a little over an inch!! However, I did find the "Holy Grail" of reloading if there is one. I tried some 150gr Nosler ballistic tips in front of 44 grs of H414 seated .20 off the lands, and all I can say is wow. 5 shot groups that I could cover with a dime. I have never had such luck. I thought that it was a fluke, but I can duplicate it shot after shot if I remain calm!! Will post pics of the target as soon as I can.