In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

+p loading

i havent loaded any pistol ammo yet, but can you reload any brass to +p pressures or do you need special brass. is the max load in the books the +p loading?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard brass is used. The +P designation is listed in most manuals as +P. Top loads that are not designated +P are within normal pressure limits and not considered +P.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Just plain old regular brass.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately, I have aquired a lot of 38 brass so have started sorting out the +P brass to reload with +P loads. With a couple of people in the family using my loads, it seems to be a decent idea. On the farm I usually carry +P 38 loads in a 357 that I really don't intend to shoot in the old S&W 15 my son shoots. Not that they are unsafe but I don't see any need to stress the old gun and he would be quite surprised if he lit off one of the hot loads expecting a 700fps load.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In .38 Special at least, there is little if any difference in the brass itself. The +P headstamp is there to identify the original factory loading only. But it is useful to the reloader as well, for the same reason.

All my manuals list two separate maximums in .38 Special, for standard and +P loads. The two are not very far apart, either in load or pressure, but some guns are not rated for +P use, so the distinction is still a worthy one.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would stay away from hot loads in Remington brass. I have had failures when I have tried hotter loads in Remington brass. I have better luck with Winchester or Federal brass.