In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun BP reloads

Hey guys. I have a few questions. I have some 12 gauge shells that I would like to reload, and I am wondering what type of powder I should use? And also, how many grains? Can I use the powder measure I use for my muzzleloader to measure the powder? And also, what primers will I use? And, I have an old 20 ga. Sxs that I would like to load some Blackpowder loads for. The gun calls for 2.5 in. shells, but it will accept the length of 2.75 in. shells. So I need a low pressure loading for it. I have, for the blackpowder, FFG, so how many grains would I need to use of that? And, how many grains of BP would I use for a modern 12 ga., if I wanted to load them with it?
Thanks guys, and merry christmas.

Comments

• Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here ia a very informative website on reloading BP shotgun shells. It should have any and all information you need. I found it while looking for info on reloading some shells for my old Eclipse SxS.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    UNLESS YOU ARE USING BRASS SHELLS DO NOT FIRE 2 3/4" AMMO IN YOUR SHOTGUN.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Second what Mike says. It might chamber the longer shell but when the crimp unfolds it will unfold into the bore rather than the chamber, causing an obstruction.

For the rest of your question, I'd get a good reloading manual to start. There are a number of powders suitable for reloading 12 gauge but really you need the proper recipe. Red Dot is a good one for instance, about 18 gr with 1 oz of shot. The muzzleloader measure you have may be suitable but you need a scale to check it against as smokeless powder has differing load densities.

In practice you'll need a shot shell reloader though and that will automtically dispense the proper charge of powder once you calibrate it and choose the proper charge bar for your powder/wad/shot combo.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon
    If he's talking about loading black powder, that is a "whole nuther ballgame" when it comes to measuring powder (static is a real problem with BP). If he's talking about loading shotgun with smokeless powder, than I'm on the same page as you and Mike (esp on never using the longer hulls in a shorter chamber).

Coltpax
    1 dram is a volume measurement ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/mw/table/weight.htm ) equal to 27.34gr, so by doing a little math you can set your BP measure to dispense the amount need in your shot shells (3 drams of BP is about 80gr).
    NOTE, Dram is ONLY used to measure black powder (NEVER smokeless powder), modern shells use the phrase "dram equiv", which means that the much smaller amount of smokeless powder used produces the same *velocity* as the larger amount of black powder does (IE 15gr of powder "xyz" produces the same velocity as 80gr of FFg).

The biggest problem your going to have (I have loaded a few 12ga BP rounds in the past, fun on a skeet field [}:)] ) is locating hulls with enough interior volume to hold all the powder + shot + wad(s).
    What I used to look for were the formed (solid base) hulls that had a paper filler base wad. Let them soak for a couple days and than remove the paper base wad.
    From that point, it is almost like loading a standard load, except that to have enough room for the 1 1/8oz of shot, I had to cut the "pedals" off a AA-12 wad.

You can make your own 20ga 2 1/2" loads, by trimming 1/4" off the mouth of a standard 20ga PAPER hull, and than processing as "normal" (modified dies may be required, IE shortened and stood further off the press)
    Unique makes a fairly low pressure smokeless shotgun powder, and data for it is fairly common.
    I would strongly suggest that you pick up a shotgun loading manual (you can often find free handouts (with data) at the larger gunshops), as that will answer most of your general questions
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. This is getting printed off, just for a little bit of info to keep on hand. I feel more edumacated.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well the way I read it- and I could be wrong- is that he wants to load 20 gauge black powder and seems up in the air on 12 gauge. Coltpax, could you clarify?
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I want to load the 20 ga. BP loads, but 12 ga. would be nice as well. I don't see much point in reloading the 12 ga., except to make custom loadings and the such. The 20 ga., I probably need to start reloading. I will have to cut down the shells I have to reload for my gun, but It will be worth it. No local stores have the 2.5 in. shells at a decent price. Also, its something about shooting the BP out of an old SxS that makes it so much fun.
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading B/P shotguns for years.I use prodex.hodgdon loading info.most is on their web site.I also use a lot of unique as its a low pressure powder.for shells i use wanda or the old blue herters,they are 2 1/2 in, made out of lexion and B/P heat dont affect them,they are getting hard to find but i have a lot of them for my own use.the old lee or herters hand loaders work well.I load all gages 410,28,20,16,12, 10 ga am now just starting into the 8 ga.I seal the over shot card with superglue.(20 ga load is 7/8 oz shot .135 card 1/4 felt 60gr pyrodex "RS" velocity 1115)from hodgdon book.tks hedge[:D]