In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

military primer crimp

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
what's the best way to get rid of a military primer pocket crimp? I don't have a fancy reamer/de-crimper and I don't want to have to spend the money on one. Is there a "backyard" way to do it? I have the Lee single stage kit with accessories and I've tried the chamfer tool on some mil brass but it didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What's the easiest and/or cheapest way to remove the primer crimp from milsurp 30-06 cases?
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    ive wondered if just a severly oversized drillbit would do the trick???
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Buy Lyman's primer pocket reamers [;)]
  • Options
    TaiChiTaiChi Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A small pocket knife with a sharp blade and a little practice is the cheapest.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i tried that with one of those folding boxcutter knives. can you even see the primer crimp? the knive didnt work very well for me and it takes forever
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the reamer on a Dremel.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on DCS post. I'm about as cheap as anyone, but there's just a point where it's less expensive to buy the tool. The hand version works well and is very inexpensive. I honed down old screwdrivers, used the chamfer tool, used an exacto knife (only cut myself a few hundred times), and in the end a few bucks just made life so much better.

Good luck
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use a primer pocket swaging tool from RCBS for mine; removes no metal, works quickly in my press.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't want to get a swager, at least get one of the ready made reamers. You will get more even cuts and are not as likely to ruin cases bu cutting too much. I got some cases a while back that were supposed to be reamed and ready to prime. I found later that the guy used a phillips bit in a drill to "ream" the crimp. Totally inconsistant with some not enough and some 3 times too much. Some cases completely buggered. For less than $10 you can do the job kind of right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If you don't want to get a swager, at least get one of the ready made reamers. You will get more even cuts and are not as likely to ruin cases bu cutting too much. I got some cases a while back that were supposed to be reamed and ready to prime. I found later that the guy used a phillips bit in a drill to "ream" the crimp. Totally inconsistant with some not enough and some 3 times too much. Some cases completely buggered. For less than $10 you can do the job kind of right.

Less than $10? (all the others I've seen are much more expensive than that) now you're talking my language. point me in the right direction.
  • Options
    The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Advise will cost you. [}:)] oh wait, you already used that one. As previously stated, RCBS has a swagger tool that works well. I use it with no issues.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the realistic side; the RCBS primer pocket swaging kit is the only way to go. You can adjust it to remove the crimp without damage to the brass. It is the best way to remove the crimp from large amounts of brass. I've had mine for 25 years or so.

On the cheap side; take a block of aluminum drill a hole in to match the shaft size of a old motor from a dryer or furnace. Attach it to the motor with two set screws. Take a grinder and put a flat spot 1/4 inch long in the middle of the RCBS deburring tool. Drill the block big enough to accept the deburring tool. Put the deburring tool into the holder and lock it in place using a set screw into the flat spot you ground.

You now have a power de-crimper, time saver, no money spent machine. Your fingers are going to get tired of pushing the cases into the tool and once an a while you are going to trim a nail back, but it works flawlessly and fast. I had a 1/2 HP motor from a machine that spun at 3750 RPM, it cleaned the crimp out in a go-fast-hurry. [:D] If you turn the deburring tool around you can also clean up the case mouth. If you happen to miss the center with the case, the spinning legs of the deburring tool will trim your nail back pretty near to the first knuckle, BTDT [:0]

I retired that gizmo as soon as I got the RCBS pocket swager.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Take a Lyman reamer and pull the pin and take the reamer and chuck it in a power screw driver or drill and you have a power reamer [;)]
  • Options
    wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS pocket reamer I've had for 30+ years.
    It will chuck up in a drill if you stick the drill jaws between the legs on the outside reamer and chuck on the rod in the middle. Works great and takes about 3 seconds per piece.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I just grab the chamfer tool in my right hand and the case in my left hand and twist. Cost me nothing, and the crimp's as gone as yesterday. Takes about an hour to do 200 7.62x51.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I just grab the chamfer tool in my right hand and the case in my left hand and twist. Cost me nothing, and the crimp's as gone as yesterday. Takes about an hour to do 200 7.62x51.

Tried the chamfer tool. don't work for me.

Gonna order something from midway.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist
    i use a primer pocket swaging tool from RCBS for mine; removes no metal, works quickly in my press.

works well for me as well