In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie ?

tacomasr5tacomasr5 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
In reading the Speer Reloading Manual, it say's that for loading 243 winchester, that only Winchester Brass should be used. Just wondering why you can't use other manufacturers brass.

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS......nuff said

They are prolly saying that because that is what they used in working up their data, and some other brass can have less capacity, thus boosting pressures with the same amount of powder
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not saying "only" Win brass can BE used, but that it was Win brass that they used to develop the data.

Internal capacities vary between brands of brass, and the internal capacity is one of the variables in pressure. With everything else remaining constant, the smaller the internal capacity the higher the pressure will be (and that's why the manuals always tell you to reduce the max charge when using military brass, as the mil brass is usually thicker than commercial, ergo lower internal capacity)
  • Options
    tacomasr5tacomasr5 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I have alot to learn I see before I start reloading.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    It's great that you admit you have a lot to learn before reloading. Some people are just too arrogant. You will find that about 99% of the people on this site will be of great help with your questions. The other 1% is the usual A-hole that you find everywhere!!
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I noticed when I was reloading for my 7-30 Waters that when I switched from Federal to Winchester cases that my group size and poi changed. I assumed it was from the pressure as Just C said. I changed nothing but the cases when this happened. After that I stuck with the Federals , they seemed to work better in my Contender..just my .02...bull