In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading books

how many different ones do you have? newer ones and older.

i have a lyman 49th edition, sierra 50th anniversity, and speer # 10.

i like the lyman the best. it has the most variety of powders, and bullet types. but is missing some stuff. doesnt even list a varget load for the 30/06.

the sierra book has a decent layout but seems to missing a lot or rifle data. cant even find loads for the 30/06, 243, or any of the mags.

the speer book only has a very few(3) powder choices for each bulelt weight in any caliber.

what other ones would you fine fellows recommend?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would reccomend the Hodgdon Annual Manual since they're the guys who sell most of the powder we use.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have 31 reloading manuals (and I've given a couple others away), the ones I use the most are Nosler and Sierra.

The only manual I won't use/own is the one LEE puts out.

The oldest data I have is in the Phil Sharpe manual (each new edition contained the earlier versions), my 3rd ed was printed in 1953 (data dates to the late 30's/early 40's)
    Next in age would be my Speer #1 printed in 1954
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy or print from the internet every bit of loading data you can get from every source you can. There is no such thing as too much reloading data. I have Lee, Hornaday, Sierra, Speer and Hodgdon manuals from brand new to over 30 years old. I still use them all.

I put a lot of the internet stuff in a three ring binder sorted by caliber. Make notes of loads and testing, keep test targets for later study. A load that seems poor on the first test might have potential with adjustments to charge or bullet seating depth. Having the targets available will let you study that kind of information later.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I like Hornady, Speer and Nosler the best.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to go measure how many feet of shelf space mine take up to answer! My invariable recommendation: For your primary load data source, use the manual from your bullet maker. Always double-check loads with the book from your powder maker. In the event they disagree markedly (typos happen!) refer to an independent source such as the Lyman manual.

That means three manuals, minimum. If you use more than one brand of bullet, you'll need a manual for each. All other things the same, the exact bullet you use can mean a large difference in the load's pressure level. Substituting a different bullet - even of the same weight - can take a load from safe to unsafe.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first books I go to are lyman,then lee first edition then my winchester first editions.they have the dwg. of cart. but always check the powder co's to back them up.tks.hedge[:D]
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    ok, on getting a book for each brand of bullet. what if you dont know who makes your bullet? right now im not ectremely concerned on getting the absolute most accuracy possible out of my loading. if i can get a load to hold an inch at 100yds ill be happy. and these are along the lines of what im looking into geting for bullits. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7440&dir=278|281|727 with the same basic idea for my 308

mabye once i get a bit more involved and comfortable ill get into accuracy loading with my 30/06 but thats a ways off yet.

ive printed off a bunch of data from the hodgdon sight which lists for hodgden. imr, and winchester. i didnt know they just gave that info away. thanks for the advise.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,
    I'm curious. What do you have against the Lee manual? I have old volumes by Keith, Sharpe, Ackley, etc. as well as many of the new ones, including Lee, and have viewed and used it as one more reliable source.[?][?][?]
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    sometimes you need more then 3 books just to find any load data for some odd ball round or if you don't like what one book says just look in another for a new answer,

sorta like the weather forecast don't like what one says change channel and the next forecast will be different [:(]

i have 20 books as of right now.
    AND use them as a guide to check one from another
    MY .02
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading earlier this year and thus far I have the latest from Lyman and Nosler augmented by various hand loading websites.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Tailgunner,
    I'm curious. What do you have against the Lee manual? I have old volumes by Keith, Sharpe, Ackley, etc. as well as many of the new ones, including Lee, and have viewed and used it as one more reliable source.[?][?][?]

Other than they are either calculated loads, or compiled data from other manuals, that he pissed all over to match his CC Dipper system and stuffed full of advertising, not much.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee book is valuable. All the data is in fact merely reprinted, but he DOES arrange it in a very useful way and his reasoning for it is sound. Yes, he does tout his own stuff. So does every other manual, of course.

The only caveat about internet load data is to be EXTREMELY circumspect about the source. I wouldn't blindly trust ANY load recommendation not from a recognized manufacturer - even load data from me - unless it is checked against several good printed sources. As mentioned, typos DO happen and memory is tricky.

As for off-brand bullets, the best you can do is to find data for a bullet that is as near as possible to the no-name bullet you are using. Weight isn't enough, either. Match the bearing length, nose profile, base style and jacket type as closely as possible. Varmint versus big game or target bullet; lead core versus other core or no core; boattail versus flatbase; plastic tipped versus hollowpoint or softpoint; ALL these things can have a bearing on charge and pressure.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.