In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50 cal ballistics

i was watching a show on the history channel where they just claimed that a m82a3 shooting a 50cal api round at a target 1 mile away is still going over 2500fps.

i know the 50 cal retains its speed and energy bettr then about any other cartridge going. but its only being launched at around 2800fps no? wouldnt it loose more then 300fps speed in a miles distance?

Comments

• Options
    Wizard07Wizard07 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    History Channel is full of it. Look up Lilja Rifle Barrels. There is good info on there about the 50 BMG and FPS for different yardage .
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS.

No way it retains 90% of it's velocity for 1760 yards.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    i was watching a show on the history channel where they just claimed that a m82a3 shooting a 50cal api round at a target 1 mile away is still going over 2500fps.

i know the 50 cal retains its speed and energy bettr then about any other cartridge going. but its only being launched at around 2800fps no? wouldnt it loose more then 300fps speed in a miles distance?

It doesn't retain velocity any better than other calibers.
    Depends on the BC and SD and starting velocity of the bullet.
    I wish they were right.
    But they are wrong.
    I have 2 50s

CP
  • Options
    wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my ballistics calculator a 750g started at 2750fps with a BC of 1.05 (Hornady A-max) will be moving at 1955fps at 1000yds.
    Drops 252 inches
    Energy is 6337 ft/lbs
    Still damned impressive!
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    still not anywhere near their claims though. crap like this makes me question all the "facts" about what new gear they show. makes me think the over inflate how awesome it is to make them seem unstoppable.