In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 auto 200 gr. JFP

pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
I just got some 200gr. JFP in .45 auto off the auction side.

OK, what should the OAL be?

My starting load is going to be 6.6 gr. of WSF(Winchester super field)

Also any recommendations for Unique starting loads w/ this bullet?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello WOW this is on the VERY HOT side as loads go. If you are shooting in only one pistol then remove barrel from pistol start with loading just one round and load it LONG then adjust until loaded rounds will fit in the magazine . Now take the barrel and Drop the loaded round into the chamber it should drop under it's own weight to fully chamber with the head of the case about .005 inside of flush to the end of barrel hood. Make sure you taper crimp so case mouth is about .001 smaller then 1/4 inch below case mouth.This will give the smallest amount of feed problems and best accuracy "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    My Hornady book doesn't show 6.6 WSF as being really hot...looks like a great load...should be about 850 fps. As for Unique Speer shows 6.5 grs for 860 fps. As for OAL what kind of bullets are they...it is bullet dependent, most books show 1.150 to 1.200 OAL depends of the bullet.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    They are jacketed flat point. The point is lead so I guess I would say they are jacketed hollow point.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Without knowing the exact bullet you are using we can't say what the max OAL is... and even then as Perry Shooter suggests, it may be different for your gun than for factory guns. I'd do as he suggests; your OAL (max) will be whatever chambers in your gun without hitting the rifling and feeds through the mag.

If you are using these in more than 1 gun you can go with the seating depth that allows function in all of them.

Or if it is a factory bullet- hornady, speer, whatever, you should be able to get the OAL from their website. You MIGHT be able to go longer than that but it SHOULD work in any factory gun. Or at least most.