In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what size bullet

1chig1chig Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
what size bullet would you load in a .308 win. that would work good for target and hunting say whitetail?

Comments

• laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 168gr and 175gr Sierra Match Kings for target, and 150gr Hornady SST's and 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips for whitetail. I would suggest that you not use the MK's for hunting. These work for me, but trial and error is the only way to find that magic combo! Good luck!
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything from 150 to 175 will work, the trick is finding the bullet your rifle likes best. I tend to favor the Nosler BT in 150gr, but Sierra makes a good bullet also (and they're less expensive)
    The second trick is figuring out which powder it likes best.
    After that it get's easy [:D]
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any bullet that works for whitetail should work for target shooting unless your a serious match shooter. I would go with 165 grain bullet, 150 would work fine on whitetail as well. I just prefer the 165.

On bullet choice, any good quality bullet would work. I may select the 165gr BTSP from Hornady. (Speer or Sierra would work as well). If you want to spend more go with the Hornady SST. I don't use much of the Nosler's, great bullets, something about buying in quantities of 50, just bothers me. Again 150gr bullet would work as well, if you wanted the most economic shooting, just a flat base 150gr SP is your ticket.

Have fun.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I like the 165 gr the best.