In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.357 rifle load for silhouette

SDCOSDCO Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am looking for some recommendations for loading a .357 rifle to shoot silhouette matches. What powders/bullet combos have any of you used with success. Thanks in advance for the help.

SDCO

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ranges and size targets? If you are going to shoot 200 meter full size rams you are not going to have much luck knocking them over.
  • SDCOSDCO Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ranges are 50, 100, 150 & 200. I realize that the .357 is going to lack the punch to be real effective at 200. I want to load for my 10 year old to shoot the matches. He is a avid shooter and I think that he will get a real kick out shooting at the silhouettes and the .357 is a rifle that fits him well right now.

SDCO
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What weight bullet are you going to use [?]
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of using 158g bullets and am sort of up in the air on powder. Reading the manuals and talking with a few others I have been pointed toward H110 and Unique so far. Any thoughts or suggestions??
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I get plenty of knockdown on "full-size" rams at 225yds in my Win '94 Trapper using Starline cases, CCI 550 primers, 12.0gr Blue Dot, and 158gr. Sierra 8360 bullets.
    I've also shot some matches using 180gr.lead SWC that I mold myself; just drop the load to (same components)11.1gr of H110.
    I don't understand why some folks need a 455 Blastenstaff to knock over rams at 200-250 yds when a 38special will do a fine job if you hit 'em in the hump. Must be the air out here doesn't have any "slowdowns" in it.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue-Dot and H110 are great powders for .357mag pushing a 158gr bullet
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Start with 15.0gr. of H-110, go to 16.7gr. max.
    Or 14.5-16.0grs. of H or IMR4227. Both powders work good for me.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. I am going to start out with H110 and 158g bullets. Looking forward to getting to the range to try out some loads. Thanks again for the help.