In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

221 Fireball to 17 Fireball

craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
Hi Guys, Can I make 17 FB brass out of 221 FB with just a standard 17 FB full length die or do I need one of those expensive dies Midway has for this purpose?
Thanks, Craig

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can, but use this trick: run your 221 cases through the 17 Fireball SEATER die first, then the sizer. Because seater dies have to have a neck large enough to accommodate the case with seated bullet, they are a bit larger than the neck diameter of the sizer - and thus they serve as a great intermediate form die. Be sure to lube the necks, and you may even wish to polish the seater die neck with some JB or Flitz on a patched brush, spn with a drill.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky. Great tip using the seater die first.
    Best Regards and Happy New Year, Craig

P. S. I have really enjoyed reading your web sight, great stuff.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am honored to have you say so, and you are most welcome.

BTW, for anyone else doing a case conversion, that seater die trick only works for cartridges of the same length and shoulder position. It does NOT work for converting (for example) 222 or 223 brass to the shorter 221 Fireball. The reason is the crimp shoulder in the seater die. Once the case mouth hits that, the only result will be a severely crumpled case.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.