In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

20" Barrel 223Rifle-Do I need to use faster powder

sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
Time to learn me something guys....

I just picked up my Remington 700 SPS that has a 20" bull barrel on it that I have had on layaway for a long time. I have my dies, lead,and primers so I am ready to reload when I select my powder but here is where I need some help.

Do I need to load a faster burning powder because the barrel is shorter on this rifle than many other 223 rifles?

Second Question - Keep this one elementary for me please. In my reloading books I have a wide range of powder choices. Here is my question - This is an example not taken from any load book -

If I want to push a 50Gr bullet 2800 FPS and powder X says use 25 Grs and powder Y says use 22 grains to acheive the same 2800 FPS, which of these two powders burns faster.

Thanks for your comments and educational feedback.....Mark

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No and powder Y.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most 223 loads started life with the intent of being fired in military rifles not long heavy barrel bench rest type rifles . You may be able to get a few more feet per second out of slower burning powder in longer barrels but for the most part published loads will work in your 20 inch barrel just fine. I personally like to use a powder that just goes to the base of neck/shoulder of the case then no worry of accidental over load? "powder will pour out on reloading bench" of powder.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your comments and clear answers. I will review the loads and the percent of the case that is filled as a result of using a particular powder. I will follow your comments and it sounds as if I am safe using any powder listed in my relaoding manuals. Thanks again......Mark
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The replies were great. If you haven't picked a powder yet, I can make a few recommendations. Your options with a bolt gun are unlimited, almost. (A gas semi-auto DOES require some specific powder choices.)

If you do plan on using 50-gr bullets (which I consider optimum for the 223), my pet load list includes the following:

24.0 H322
    27.0 W748
    25.5 Ramshot TAC
    24.5 Ramshot X-Terminator
    25.5 Benchmark
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The replies were great. If you haven't picked a powder yet, I can make a few recommendations. Your options with a bolt gun are unlimited, almost. (A gas semi-auto DOES require some specific powder choices.)

If you do plan on using 50-gr bullets (which I consider optimum for the 223), my pet load list includes the following:

24.0 H322
    27.0 W748
    25.5 Ramshot TAC
    24.5 Ramshot X-Terminator
    25.5 Benchmark

Rocky - Thank you Sir - I will start with the H322 or W748 because I know both of these are avaiable at my local shop that carries powders. Thanks for sharing your load information. I do think later I will try 40 Gr and I might also try 60-70 Gr... Bought the gun to tinker with reloads and mostly punch paper, learning how bullet drop, velosity, wind, and all of those other things effect the flight of a bullet. I have a 5R Remington in 308 but figured I would enjoy shooting this little rifle more because of the recoil. Might try my luck in the future at crows once I work up a good round that after ranging I can click up my scope and become proficent in understanding all of the things that make a bullet hit where I want it. Then I will take what I learn with my 223 and apply it to my 308. Thanks again - Grouping photos to follow in the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks again..... Mark
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sigarmsp226,

Personally I prefer AA2015 for my bolt gun. It's a little faster than 4895 and a little slower than 4198. I use 24 gr. behind a 60 gr. V-max. As my standard standby, 4895 any flavor (AA2495) works well.

I have also found I really like RE-15 with the heaviest bullets my rifle will stabilize, the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP's. 25.8 gr. gives me 2690 out of my 16" AR barrel but I haven't yet chrono'd them out of my bolt gun.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sandwarrior - I just added your information to my folder I started for 223 reloads. Question if I may ask. I do not own one yet but plan on buying a chronograph. Can you recommend a affordable one that works well. Thanks Mark
    edited November -1
    I almost mentioned A2015 myself, but would have had to dig out load sheets to give a load. It is a very good powder.

Your rifle may not stabilize bullets much over 60 grains unless it has a twist rate of 1-9" or faster. The standard is (IIRC) 1-12" designed for 55-grainers. But it never hurts to try. I have two ostensibly identical 223 rifles; one loves 50-gr or lighter and the other refuses to like anything but 55 or 60-gr bullets.

If you want a powder that will shine in both the 223 and 308, look at TAC, 748, or RL-15.
    edited November -1
    Rocky - Looked it up and my rifle has a 1 in 9 twist... Hopefully this rifle will love the 50gr or 55gr bullets. If not I will try the 40Gr and/or the the 60Gr. My plan is to mainly puch paper and learn more about ballistics....Mark
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will 2nd ACC 2015, I tried it after Sandwarrior's post a while ago. Its become my powder of choice for 223. One question, would that powder be okay for an AR?
    edited November -1
    sigarms226,

With a 1-9" twist you should be able to stabilize both Hornady 75 gr. BTHP and Sierra 77 gr. BTHP's. It won't stabilize 75/80 gr. A-max's or Sierra 80 gr. BTHP's.

Skyfish,

AA2015 is an excellent powder for light/midweight bullets in the AR. I use 23.8 gr. for an AR but 24 Gr. for my bolt-gun. behind a 60 gr. bullet. I use 24.5 for both with a 55 gr. bullet.

Edit:

Another really good powder to use is Varget. A little slower than 4895 and will give just a little more velocity.
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior or Anyone that can advise please - Moly or non-moly bullets in the 75gr Hornady? What is the advantage or disadvantage of moly coating? Mark
    edited November -1
    Varget is almost too slow for the 223 except with heavy bullets, and it is definitely too slow for a gas-auto. It is highly accurate, though.

Moly coating was THE thing a number of years ago. These days, you'll find ten guys asking how to get moly out of their guns for every guy asking how to apply it.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Have a play here, 1/2" up zero, at 100yds with 50gr heads & 24.5gr of vit 133, does it for me. Flat @ 200yds.

http://stevespages.com/224_8_50.html
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varget is almost too slow for the 223 except with heavy bullets, and it is definitely too slow for a gas-auto. It is highly accurate, though.

I have to disagree with this from what I have read. Sierra's accuracy load for 69 HPBT shows varget 25.3 grains. This is from their AR loads. There are also some custom upper manufacturers that are placing the gas hole at 11 inches to use with slower powder and heavier bullets.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

I have to disagree with this from what I have read. Sierra's accuracy load for 69 HPBT shows varget 25.3 grains. This is from their AR loads. There are also some custom upper manufacturers that are placing the gas hole at 11 inches to use with slower powder and heavier bullets.

If they were going to move the gas port, I'd rather they move it to 16" from 14" in a standard 20" A2 rifle. The short gas run you give is like for M4's.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

If they were going to move the gas port, I'd rather they move it to 16" from 14" in a standard 20" A2 rifle. The short gas run you give is like for M4's.

Your correct, had M4 length in my head for some reason.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226
    Time to learn me something guys....

I just picked up my Remington 700 SPS that has a 20" bull barrel on it that I have had on layaway for a long time. I have my dies, lead,and primers so I am ready to reload when I select my powder but here is where I need some help.

Do I need to load a faster burning powder because the barrel is shorter on this rifle than many other 223 rifles?

Second Question - Keep this one elementary for me please. In my reloading books I have a wide range of powder choices. Here is my question - This is an example not taken from any load book -

If I want to push a 50Gr bullet 2800 FPS and powder X says use 25 Grs and powder Y says use 22 grains to acheive the same 2800 FPS, which of these two powders burns faster.

Thanks for your comments and educational feedback.....Mark

Check out this link I stumbled across for 223 info!
    http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Also look at the home page for other info!
    edited November -1
    Okie - Thanks for a great link. I just spent the past hour plus on this link reading all types of information related to 223 reloading. Thanks for sharing.....Mark