In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ordering powder online

is there a limit to how much you can order at once? i want to order 2 or 3 8lb kegs so i dont need to worry about getting any more for a while. i just dont want to have someone nocking on my door over it.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your home insurance policy probably has more limitations than any other entity does. There are sound recommendations for storage of powders and once the stash reaches 25 pounds there are recommendations for a proper storage box.

The big thing; do not store it in a closed container like a safe.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No limit.
    I try to order them by the 32# case and my seller pays the HazMat when I do it that way.

CP
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Your home insurance policy probably has more limitations than any other entity does. There are sound recommendations for storage of powders and once the stash reaches 25 pounds there are recommendations for a proper storage box.

+1000 Nothing like a bomb in your home.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    safe=kaboom. that would be a bad thing. cold doesnt bother powder correct? and the bottles are sealed so humidity/moisture wont affect it? could store it in the basement of the barn. mabye put the bottles in a tin garbage can to keep any rodents from getting to it? at about what temp does heat start to effect powder?
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a limit on how much powder you can order per Hazmat fee. You can order 4 8lb jugs or 32#. If you order more than that you have to pay another Hazmat fee.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    What BHAVIN said.

For storage I break it up. 2 jugs are in the basement. 2 in the garage. etc. I try not to keep more than a few pounds of powder in any one area.

A wooden cabinet is good for storage. Or just on the shelf. Anyplace where if it went up, air could freely circulate to allow it to burn (bad enough) and not blow up.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lot of powder in cans,do you mean that its not safe?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what kind of can? if it builds pressure will the top blow off easily or will it hold pressure and blow up? powder just burns. it wont explode untill you try to contain that burn as in a rifle chamber or a safe.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Radar
    If in the original cans, yes it's safe. The issue is having too much powder in one place is a fire hazard. Having it in a can inside a safe or tight gun cabinet means not only a fire hazard, a bomb waiting to go off.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    If in the original cans, yes it's safe. The issue is having too much powder in one place is a fire hazard. Having it in a can inside a safe or tight gun cabinet means not only a fire hazard, a bomb waiting to go off.
    So if its in a safe, what would ignite this BOMB...just wondering
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Bruce or Someone - Help me here PLEASE - I have a small gun vault with a Goldenrod Dehumidifier that is in my shop, where I reload. My shop is not climate controlled. Are you saying that I should NOT store any powder in this triple fire wall vault? Thanks Mark
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the powder is in some of the older metal cans with the screw on cap,one pounder.these go back about 12 or 15 years.I still have one full 50 pound can with the heavy snap down latches kind of like the ammo cans have,its pretty heavy gage steel,what about it ? quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    what kind of can? if it builds pressure will the top blow off easily or will it hold pressure and blow up? powder just burns. it wont explode untill you try to contain that burn as in a rifle chamber or a safe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most of the powder is in some of the older metal cans with the screw on cap,one pounder.these go back about 12 or 15 years.I still have one full 50 pound can with the heavy snap down latches kind of like the ammo cans have,its pretty heavy gage steel,what about it ? quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982

your houuse ever catches fire get as far away as you can. 50lbs of powder in a metal can with a snap down lid? thats a lot of shrapnel go everywhere should it blow i would think. if i had 50+lbs of powder i would break it up some.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check with the local fire marshall for local and state limits and ordinances. In my county, there is a limit on the amount that can be store in an occupied structure.

I also have an unattached structure where I store my powder in a wooden case with a padlock. There is a local ordinance on how much I can store that way also.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I store my powder in an old tune up cabinet bolted to the wall. I store my loaded ammo in ammo cans in an old refridgerator. I do store my primers in an ammo can also but all is within range of the sprinkler system. I put a sprinkler system in the basement also. It was cheap to do and good insurance in case of fire.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every reloading manual and website contains a section on the proper storage of powder. Read it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226

Bruce or Someone - Help me here PLEASE - I have a small gun vault with a Goldenrod Dehumidifier that is in my shop, where I reload. My shop is not climate controlled. Are you saying that I should NOT store any powder in this triple fire wall vault? Thanks Mark

if you keep it in the vault, make the sure the door is unlocked and the the bars are not holding the door shut. If the temp gets high enough to ignite the powder, you have a bomb in your home. There MUST ALWAYS be a way of releasing pressure should the powder ignite. Containing the pressure as it builds inside a locked metal safe, will result in that safe becoming a very large hand grenade. NO NO NO
  • Options
    wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummm? I really doubt that a gunsafe will cause smokeless powder to go boom.
    It's not air tight nor does it have a small enough air volume to let anything but a couple hundred pounds of powder detonate and I doubt even that much would do it. Burning powder in a gun safe will just jet out the door gaps.
    Don't store the powder right next to the heating rod.
    Maybe we can get mythbusters to try this? I predict that even a level full gunsafe would do more than split a seam.
    Oh, and some suppliers will wave the Hazmat fee if you buy over 100#s
  • Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josh, you got way to much powder. The right thing to do is send it to me for storage. I'll take care of it for ya buddy. LOL